• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rimsky-K mock-up

Share/Bookmark

Rimsky-K mock-up

Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnol, II. Variazioni

GPO v1.2 driven by the score in Overture 3.6.0

The end is improvised a teensy bit because the suite segues right into the next movement.

Re: Rimsky-K mock-up

Very impressive job! May I ask you a question? As a new user of GPO (just getting my feet wet), I'm torn between using Sibelius and Overture. I got GPO mainly to use with Sibelius but I find that Overture, although not as streamlined as Sibelius (I hate having to add all those rests), is much more "friendly" towards GPO as a playback device, especially in the strings. I guess my question is - do you use more than one notation program and shuttle files between the two or do you find Overture meets all of your needs? Obviously, the "lite" edition is not the same as the full version but I was curious as to what thoughts anyone had on this subject.

Also, when is GPO v1.2 going to be available to the masses?

Definitely one of my favourite Gpo renderings, expecially if realized with a notation software.
    Congrats.

Luca

DarwinKopp,

It doesn't get much better than Rimsky-Korsakov. You did an excellent job. It must have taken quite some time to do this. It's great to hear such a work played directly from a notation program. You were able to make the instruments sound expressive in Overture. Was this recorded using the new capture to audio feature in GPO Studio v. 1.2?

Would you mind if this gets posted on the GPO demo page? It would be good to know the instrumentation and if you wish to share the Overture and GPO Studio file, that would be helpful.

The improvised end is couldn't have been done better than Rimsky-Korsakov himself. I enjoyed your rendition and thank you for posting this.

Gary Garritan
    Last edited by Garritan; 06-23-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Very nice. I'm not familiar with this since the only R-K I know well is Scharazad (or however you are supposed to spell it) but this proves to me I should listen to more of his music. Very well done.
    Trent P. McDonald

It's not a piece I know but I enjoyed it nevertheless and thought it generally sounded very realistic. Very impressed.

Frank

I love anything by R-K!! Nice job with this!

Good evening, I've been away all day. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. It's a lot of fun working a beloved classic into a GPO mock-up. I'm finding that, with experience, it's getting noticeably easier to achieve a reasonably good rendition of what I'd like to hear, though some things are still hard to shape exactly the way I would like.

There were only two technical problems with this, both having to do with instrument ranges:

1) The clarinets in A play a low concert C# (the lowest note on the A clarinet) in a couple of spots, so I detuned the Bb clarinet patches a half-step to simulate clarinets in A and used them that way throughout.

2) Likewise, the 4th horn has a growly low concert C (in unison with the basses) during the first tutti section, but the GPO patch falls short, stopping at low concert D. So, just for these sustained notes, I added a separate horn patch detuned a whole step down.

Otherwise, ensemble patches used were pretty much as listed in the score. However, for solo passages, e.g., horn, I switched to a solo patch and then back to the ensemble patch as needed. I also added one solo cello (cello 1 ens1) on the same midi channel to help thicken the ensemble cellos a bit.

Answers to questions:

loogoo,

"I'm torn between using Sibelius and Overture...do you use more than one notation program and shuttle files between the two or do you find Overture meets all of your needs?"

I'd been using Finale for something like ten years. I demoed Sibelius a few years ago, but didn't think it was much of an improvement over Finale. However, having just started using Overture, I find it is an improvement over Finale, so I'm sold on it. When release 4 comes out, I'll definitely upgrade to the full version, maybe sooner. So to answer your question, no, I don't shuttle between other notation programs.

"Also, when is GPO v1.2 going to be available to the masses?"

I got my working version right off the upgrade section of the GPO site, so unless Gary has pulled it...

Gary,

"Was this recorded using the new capture to audio feature in GPO Studio v. 1.2?"

Yes, thanks for adding that feature! When I first installed the product suite, I was a bit concerned about how I was going to go about getting an audio capture without going the midi studio route. I'm a happier camper the closer I can stay to driving GPO directly via notation. Though perhaps not the finest approach sonically, it simplifies life measurably the fewer layers between score and rendering.

"Would you mind if this gets posted on the GPO demo page?"

No, I wouldn't mind .

Go Back to forum