• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt/Old Lady

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt/Old Lady

Hello,
    My Old Lady DVD came over lunch, and I'm eager to start using it. Unfortunately, I play about 50 notes and it stops.
    I think I'm just running out of RAM, but I'm not sure how to set it to use DFD properly. I only have 768MB (although I will get a 1GB stick soon). How do I change the settings in Kontakt to run Old Lady without problems?
    Mark

Re: Kontakt/Old Lady

Hey Neo, First of all I just got the Emporer, and Wowwwwww. Anyway I'm using Kontakt 1.5.3 and only have 1 gig of ram, still not enough. What are your settings in the Options. What are you pre load buffer sizes?. I have mine set to 384. If you experiment a little you may find a difference. But yet another gig would help for sure. I too have to invest in another gig. Anyway nice too see someone using the same setup as I. I would like to eventually get the old lady. But like I said the Emporer hauls arse. Those guys are great at PMI. Let me know how you make out ok?.

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm new to Kontakt as well the Old Lady. I set the preload buffer to 384 like you said, and that got me working. Thanks!
    I'm afraid I don't fully understand Kontakt yet, but I love this piano. The sound IS a Steinway. I've played a lot of Steinways too.
    I have a couple of other strange issues to sort out. For one thing, my controller is a Promega 2, so I have a triple pedal. The Old Lady does respond to my sustain pedal and even my sostenuto pedal, which surprised me, but not my soft pedal. Of course, there may not be corresponding samples for a soft pedal.
    The sostenuto pedal doesn't respond exactly right. For instance, if I strike a key that's already been pedaled a second time, I can hear it struck again, but the decay I hear after is only from the first strike.
    The more disturbing thing to me is that I don't know how to pan the keyboard. I can hear the keys at the far right of the keyboard just as loudly out of my left speaker as the right. For recording purposes, this isn't really a big deal, but for personal enjoyment playing, it matters. Using the factory keyboard sounds, I do have it panned so it moves with me as I go from bottom to top.
    I'm sure the Emperor is great too (and I may end up getting it), but I've always had a fondness for Steinways.
    Mark

Hi,

Glad you guys like the new pianos!

There is no general rule how to set up DFD. Please refer to this document on our website:
    www.postpiano.com/support/updates/PlugIn/Bosendorfer290Support.htm

It explains some specific DFD magic that might help in this situation. The help is about the B290 plug-in but the DFD section is essentially the same for Kontakt and KOMPAKT.

The panning can be adjusted to taste, for example to make a player perspective (lower keys from left to right). I will include such settings in an update since many people expect this while they are playing.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum