• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS Ports and MIDI Over LAN Question

Share/Bookmark

GS Ports and MIDI Over LAN Question

I got my two computers to run MOL (Midi Over LAN)and I have GS on each computer and Cakewalk Home Studio on the master computer. It seems to be working, but I can't figure out how to access ports 2 through 4 on the second (slave computer). I seem to be restricted to the first port.

Would someone tell me what to do here? I've tried a variety of things in the Cakewalk Port settings, but all the network indicated ports seem to be confined to port 1 of the slave computer.

What am I missing? Is this a Cakewalk port setting or a MOL command?

Thanks.

Marko

Re: GS Ports and MIDI Over LAN Question

Not sure I can help, because I do not use Cakewalk software.
    But have you enabled your virtual midi ports in MoL's setup (Midi from Lan) on your 2nd PC ?
    This is the only issue I can think of.

Marko,

In the MOL setup you can press a "Test" button on the output of your sequencer computer, and you should be able to see a red light response in the MOL setup window of the Giga computer. Make sure you get this working for the four ports first. After that, try to connect the sequencer.

Best of luck,

-Jon Fairhurst

sirbellog,

Thanks for the suggestion. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't see anything in the Midi from Lan tab that refers to 'virtual midi ports'.

What am I missing?

Any other suggestions?

Jon,

I can do what you outlined. The test functions normally. I have all four GS ports accessible on the master computer with Cakewalk and I have the slaved computer working too, that is, at least the first GS port works It's just that I can't get the other 3 GS ports in the slaved computer to be recognized. The only way I can get them to sound is by locking them to the first port and then all the voices sound!

Thanks for the quick response.

Marko

So let me be clear about your situation. It's either A or B...

A: Cakewalk only sees one port, so that's the only one that plays.

B: Cake sees all four ports, but Giga only sees one. Play Cake on any port, and music only comes out of Giga port 1.

Let me know which it is and I'll try to get you to the next step.

-Jon Fairhurst

Jon,

I think my problem is the first alternative you state:

Cakewalk only sees one port, so that's the only one that plays.

The port settings in Cakewalk look a bit weird. I'll have to experiment with them some more.

Marko

I also have CWH (version 7) and MOL. I'll look into it more deeply tonight and let you know the details.

-Jon Fairhurst

Jon,

Thanks for your help. I may have stumbled on the solution. For some reason I could not get Cakewalk to designate a 6:Lan port, but just before I shut everything down, I fooled some more with the MIDI outputs in Cakewalk and the MOL settings and finally a 6: Lan port appeared on the list. I had just shut down the second computer. I'm exhausted. I'll load it with samples tomorrow and see if it works. .

I'll let you know if it works.

Marko

I got all four ports working on the second computer. I didn't realize that I had to repeat the creating of each LAN port after the first one (5:LAN)

Plus rebooting!

Thanks for your help.

Congratulations!

Glad to hear that you got it working, as I had no spare time last night. Stumbles and reboots can be good.

-Jon Fairhurst

Go Back to forum