• Register
  • Help

Topic: I know it's summer, but here is Spring

Share/Bookmark

I know it's summer, but here is Spring

I did this a while ago and am posting it now because of something Nicole wrote in the post of her wonderful Mozart. She joked about putting GPO through its paces with all of the string notes.

When I first got GPO I tried to put this song in and my computer couldn’t handle it so I did the sensible thing and bought a new computer and started over. My new computer is much, much faster, yet I was getting a lot of snap, crackle and pops, particularly in the spot where everything is doing 32nd notes. You couldn’t hear anything. This was totally unplayable.

On another forum and another piece of music Shazbot recommended I reinstall Windows without ACPI. I did and my popping problems are over.

So the moral of the story, GPO can handle all of the notes, but can your computer?

Anyway, I started putting in each individual player live, but after starting my second pass for each instrument type (i.e., second time through for the first violin part, etc.) I got bored and moved on to something else. To finish up I just copied the parts over that I hadn’t recorded yet. I also never put in the harpsichord. I think I used 4 ensemble instruments each for violin 1 and 2, 3 violas, 3 cellos a bass and the strad solo. I at one time had over 20 tracks, but pared them down later.

Anyway, here is the first movement of Vivaldi’s Spring from the Four Seasons (Opus 8):
    http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...g-6-5-2004.mp3
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: I know it's summer, but here is Spring

Damned good Trent.....I personally think that this has this has the edge over Nicole's Mozart and I'm more of a Mozart fan than Vivaldi....but there again...what do I know/ personal opinion! Nigel Kennedy...eat your heart out.

EDIT: Actually I've just been back to listen to Nicole's again this time with more volume.....hard to choose!!

I'm surprised at how well Gee Pee Ohh! reproduces the 'sharp' vivaldi violin sounds......Hmmmm. How much tweaking did you do.....some of the articulations and dynamics sound remarkably good.....that's why I'm remarking on them.

Frank

Hardy, thanks for your comments.

I actually did quite a bit of tweaking, particularly with dynamics – most of the time I play too loud and softened up the piano parts (dynamic, not instrument). I tried to follow my original contours from when I played it in so it would keep the live feel. I didn’t do too much with the velocity except in some of the faster passages where I toned it down a bit – I am often heavy handed. There was also a place or two where I had too sharp of a sound – only use velocities of 127 if you really mean it or it sounds like you’re hitting the violin with a hatchet. I also played with note positions a little, particularly those 32 nd note runs (I got all of the notes in but not in very good condition) but tried to keep my phrasing intact.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Trent,

Very nice work. I really enjoyed your rendition of this classic. I agree with Hardy that some of the articulations and dynamics sound remarkably good. This has a more intimate sound than an earlier version of the same piece posted some time ago:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/4seasons-Spring-Excerpt.mp3
    Another example of differing musical interpretations.

Would you mind sharing the MIDI or sequencer file?

Thanks for posting this. Of course I am going to ask if this can also be posted on the GPO demo page.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: I know it's summer, but here is Spring

Sounds very good. Very good executed!

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Here is the midi file: http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...spring-mv1.mid
    (Note - if you downloaded the file before 9 PM EST on 6/24 it might be messed up)

The instruments I used are –
    GPO 1
    1 violin 1 Gagli Ens1
    2 Violin 3 Guarn Ens1
    3 Violin 1Gagli Ens3
    4 Violin 3 Guarn Ens3
    5 Violin 3 Guarn Ens2
    6 Violin 2 Strad Solo

GPO 2
    1 Cello 1 Ens1
    2 Cello 2 Ens1
    3 Cello 3 Ens1
    4 Viola Ens1
    5 Viola Ens2
    6 Viola Ens3
    7 Violas Sus&Short

GPO 3
    1 Violin 1 Gagli Ens2
    2 Violin 2 Strad Ens1
    3 Violin 3 Guarn Ens2
    4 Violin 2 Strad Ens1
    5 Harpsichord
    6 DBL Bass Solo

The volume on the Strad Solo was kicked up quite a bit, although I turned it down when it was doubling the 1 st violin section.

The Viola Sus& Short is at lower volume to try to make the violas closer to the level and thickness as the violins.

Until I did this I didn’t realize how short I was on the 2 nd violins, which is funny since they were continually too loud.

I never got the harpsichord part quite right. Someday I may go back and put one in.

I’d be thrilled to have this on the GPO demo page.

I’m going to be out of town for a week so I might not answer posts until after the 4 th.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Here is the midi file: http://trentsworld.com/music/posting...spring-mv1.mid

The instruments I used are –
    GPO 1
    1 violin 1 Gagli Ens1
    2 Violin 3 Guarn Ens1
    3 Violin 1Gagli Ens3
    4 Violin 3 Guarn Ens3
    5 Violin 3 Guarn Ens2
    6 Violin 2 Strad Solo

GPO 2
    1 Cello 1 Ens1
    2 Cello 2 Ens1
    3 Cello 3 Ens1
    4 Viola Ens1
    5 Viola Ens2
    6 Viola Ens3
    7 Violas Sus&Short

GPO 3
    1 Violin 1 Gagli Ens2
    2 Violin 2 Strad Ens1
    3 Violin 3 Guarn Ens2
    4 Violin 2 Strad Ens1
    5 Harpsichord
    6 DBL Bass Solo

The volume on the Strad Solo was kicked up quite a bit, although I turned it down when it was doubling the 1 st violin section.

The Viola Sus& Short is at lower volume to try to make the violas closer to the level and thickness as the violins.

Until I did this I didn’t realize how short I was on the 2 nd violins, which is funny since they were continually too loud.

I never got the harpsichord part quite right. Someday I may go back and put one in.

I’d be thrilled to have this on the GPO demo page.

I’m going to be out of town for a week so I might not answer posts until after the 4 th.
    Trent, That is very generous of you to share the MIDI file! IT shows the confidence of a man with 125 pieces in his folder!!

Thanks (for the experience)

Frank

Ooops, I went back and changed it - I meant over 125 demos that I downloaded from here, not 125 demos I've done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Ooops, I went back and changed it - I meant over 125 demos that I downloaded from here, not 125 demos I've done.
    Thank goodness Trent.....I thought that you were unusually prolific!!

Frank

Go Back to forum