• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tone Deaf GPO Players!

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Tone Deaf GPO Players!

Sorry....that was meant to read 'Tone depth of GPO player'.

I have been struck with the variation of tones available from (GPO) orchestras in general as there happens to have been recent juxtaposed postings with strongly contrasting orchestrations.

I'm thinking of bmonroney's Isoldens Liebestod (glad you posted that as it is one which I haven't heard before but greatly enjoy now), Darwinkopp's Rimsky-K, Trent's Vivaldi Spring, Nicole's Mozart and Karl's Vivaldi Guitar concerto not to forget the earlier Thus sprach Zaruthustra, and there are others that I've left out I'm sure (apologies).

I know this is attributable to the composers, conductors and musicians; but isn't it marvellous (again) that, with a few month's practice using GPO (a $250 'programme'), such realistic renditions can be produced! GPO definitely has the breadth and depth to rise to the occasion and deliver a sufficiently varied selection of instrument tones and articulations to deliver the goods.

It's also noticeable how others are catching up (caught up?) with with the wonderful first MP3s which sold more than a few copies of GPO, I'm sure.

Frank

Re: Tone Deaf GPO Players!

Products like GPO make it a great time to be a midi composer!! (I say that at the risk of sounding like ad copy!).

Besides the shock of seeing my name on the list I agree – it is a wonderful program/library. It is so easy to get very expressive sounds out of GPO.

I currently have over 125 GPO demos that I have downloaded onto my hard drive. I’m amazed at what some people have done with it.
    Trent P. McDonald

I agree... I was one of those who was on the fence for quite a while between GPO and EWQLSO... I finally chose GPO even though I preferred most of the EW demos that were available at the time. In the end I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure EW is a great instument, but GPO has a sense of flexibility and humanity of expression that I've never encountered in any sample library or synth before. The combination of velocity and mod wheel switching allows for nearly-real crescendos instead of just volume swells.

Not to mention this forum, which is the least ego-driven, troll-infested online forum I've ever been part of...

I'm working on an orchestra piece in GPO that I hope to post within the next few months (maybe earlier if I decide to post incomplete versions), and I'm blown away by the sensitivity I can get. I also have GOS Lite and SAM Horns, as well as AO and the complete Roland set, but for now GPO is holding its own.

chris.

I bought GPO thinking it would be a good 'scratch' library, but it's turned out to be a great product!

Garritan puts the "personal" back into the orchestra!
    Styxx

I fully agree with all of you! I love GPO and it was actually one of the pieces of software that I heard about that made me move from an all hardware set-up to a software set-up. I still have my midi conrollers, mics, pianos, and such, but now I sequence with software (Logic) and use GPO all the time!

As a full time theory and composition major, GPO helps me out more than I ever thought it could. Now when I write (or attempt) to compose I can enter my composition into GPO and hear basically what it would sound like in an orchestral setting Thanx again Gary!

Now it's time for me to get back to my SIGHT SCREAMING & EAR STRAINING... wait or was that... nevermind!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I agree... I was one of those who was on the fence for quite a while between GPO and EWQLSO... I finally chose GPO even though I preferred most of the EW demos that were available at the time. In the end I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure EW is a great instument, but GPO has a sense of flexibility and humanity of expression that I've never encountered in any sample library or synth before. The combination of velocity and mod wheel switching allows for nearly-real crescendos instead of just volume swells.

chris.
    Why not buy both libraries as it has been pointed out many times on both forums.

I agree about wanting just one library to turn to for orchestral music. I have to say I think GPO has the greatest potential for achieveing that!

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I like GPO too. But you must never have actually used EWQLSO if you think the programming just includes volume swells. EWQLSO uses a combination of velocity and mod wheel switching between real samples to achieve crescendos. To each his own, but let's be accurate here.

I didn't mean to compare the crescendos to EWQL, I was just comparing it to other libraries I have used. I've never actually used EWQL, but I'm sure it's a great program. All I meant to imply is that GPO has far more of a human touch than any library I've used.

I would buy both, but I am a graduate student (or was, until I graduated a month ago), so my budget could only afford one.

chris.

Go Back to forum