• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mac and Music files

Share/Bookmark

Question Mac and Music files

Hi All:

After 17 years of MIDI sequencing and recording to tape and disk, I have never had an occasion to share MIDI files with anyone on the net. Now, with audio files I am further behind the power curve in knowing how to SEND and RECEIVE music files on my Mac. Importing/exporting SMF files between programs on MY computer is child's play, but on the net, I need help.

Listening to MIDI and Mp3 files on this site is no problem whatsoever, although it makes me think I will have to soon have DSL. However, if I want to LOOK at some music associated with a MIDI file, I am next to lost.

I would assume that since I use Finale, Sibelius, Logic and soon Digital Performer, that all one would have to do is add the appropriate (.) suffix for the individual program that you select for import. I downloaded the Bach "Air on a G String" the other day--first MIDI (no problem), then the PDF file. I have never seen a music file in PDF format, but it looked rather legible. I wanted to import it into Finale, Sibelius or Logic, but didn't know how to do this.

If someone that operates a Mac can offer a little assistance on downloading and importing music files, I would feel rather complete because not being new to music composition or MIDI. I am rather a newbie to music file transactions on the internet.

John

Re: Mac and Music files

My 2 cents here - All of the programs you mentioned can open MIDI files, the playback of which is dependent on your own sound generating device (but then, you know this...). You should not change the extension - a .mid file cannot be made into another kind of file simply by changing the file extension. When you open a MIDI file in any of the notation programs you have probably noticed that you just get a "vanilla" score - no markings or anything. There may be embedded MIDI instructions which affect playback. Sibelius can import Finale files as well as MIDI files and maybe vice versa, but as for PDF files, they are strictly document files and have no MIDI playback capability at all. They are simply a way of electronically transmitting printable scores and are read with the Adobe Acrobat Reader which either is already loaded on your computer or downloadable from the Adobe website. The upshot; don't waste your time trying to open PDF files in any of these programs

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    My 2 cents here - All of the programs you mentioned can open MIDI files, the playback of which is dependent on your own sound generating device (but then, you know this...). You should not change the extension - a .mid file cannot be made into another kind of file simply by changing the file extension. When you open a MIDI file in any of the notation programs you have probably noticed that you just get a "vanilla" score - no markings or anything. There may be embedded MIDI instructions which affect playback. Sibelius can import Finale files as well as MIDI files and maybe vice versa, but as for PDF files, they are strictly document files and have no MIDI playback capability at all. They are simply a way of electronically transmitting printable scores and are read with the Adobe Acrobat Reader which either is already loaded on your computer or downloadable from the Adobe website. The upshot; don't waste your time trying to open PDF files in any of these programs
    Loogoo:

Thanks for your assistance. Will try opening these MIDI files in some of my MIDI sequencing and notation programs. Does it work the other way too? I mean, when you have saved a composition as a MIDI file, can you just send it out over the internet in its present form? I am of the opinion that a MIDI file is just a set of instructions and nothing more.

John

Loogoo, et al:

Tried to load the "airg.mid" file into Finale, but received the following error message, "While attempting to access "airg.mid" the file manager reported an error.

Finale-Error occured ID=-12

What I did was download the "airg.mid" file from Garritan's post on inviting GPO users to score this Bach composition to see the differences in orchestrating techniques.

The downloaded file plays great and looks like an Mp3 player icon on the desktop. But how do I load the thing into a sequencer or notation program? I want to see the music, but when I try to move the player icon into a program, it just moves to the rear of the application window--as in lost.

Am I doing something wrong after downloading the player and trying to use it as a file or isn't the player the MIDI file at all?

Wondering..........John

John,

It'll work, but not by double clicking on the file.

To open a midi file in Finale, start Finale first. Then under the file menu, click open, navigate to the folder the midi file is in, under file type make sure "midi" or "all files" is chosen, then click on the midi file and hit open. A import midi dialog box will appear giving you various quantizing options. For now accept the defaults that are in there and click okay. The file opened for me with 4 separate staves labeled for a string section.

Have fun,
    Jeff

I have an older version of Finale (2001b or something like that) and I occasionally use it to view midi files as notation. But my eyes are actually getting more and more acustomed to the key editor... so I mainly use that now.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    John,

It'll work, but not by double clicking on the file.

To open a midi file in Finale, start Finale first. Then under the file menu, click open, navigate to the folder the midi file is in, under file type make sure "midi" or "all files" is chosen, then click on the midi file and hit open. A import midi dialog box will appear giving you various quantizing options. For now accept the defaults that are in there and click okay. The file opened for me with 4 separate staves labeled for a string section.

Have fun,
    Jeff
    Jeff:

Thanks for answering. Yes, the procedure you described is the one I always use WHEN the MIDI file is in a FOLDER. But, that's my problem, I can't get it into a folder so I can select it.

What must I do from the time I see the MIDI file posted at Garritan's site? Can I open Finale first even though I am on the net and then somehow click on the MIDI file? Will it show up as on the Desktop or what? I can't seem to get it into a folder which is my problem. From there, no problem.

Still puzzled......John

I think I've got it now. I dragged the .mid file from the site to my HD and it became an icon. Loaded that icon into Finale and then proceeded as usual with the normal opening of a MIDI file. A lot of info and dark slashes which I guess are from GPO. Haven't received my new computer yet (hopefully tomorrow) so I don't know what goes into the normal MIDI files yet as a result of using them with GPO.

Thanks again to all that responded. I've learned something that I never used to do thanks to you.

Also, I wanted to save an Mp3 file to my HD so I clicked on the file and dragged it onto my HD. Took 26 minutes to download (thanks to 56k modem) and dial-up. Will have to get DSL soon. If any Mac users have a better way, please speak up.

John

Go Back to forum