• Register
  • Help

Topic: Standalone VST Host?

Share/Bookmark

Standalone VST Host?

I've looked for some time for a simple, straightforward standalone VST host -- something like GPO Studio, but that would work with any VST instrument or plug-in -- but I haven't yet found anything that is satisfactory and stable. I'll admit, I've mostly been looking at free stuff, so I might have missed something along the way. Anyone care to recommend one that you've had good experience with?

My specific application is with a MIDI program that has a seriously buggy VST host built in that does the crash 'n burn dance when I try to load GPO's VST. I can use it with GPO studio, but then I lose access to the audio card for other VST instruments outside GPO's scope. Fortunately, I don't use this one as often as I once did, but when I need it -- well, you know.

Suggestions?

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Lightbulb Re: Standalone VST Host?

Two ideas for you. I have used them both:

V-Stack, by Steinberg. I use it on a PC, sequencing from my Mac, and lightpipe the audio back into the Mac (Digital Performer). Around $49.

Bidule, by www.plogue.com. Works on both PC and Mac. Still a freebie, I think, they claim they will commercialize and charge a fee one of these days.

Trond

Re: Standalone VST Host?

V-stack is available for mac now too.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dnortana

Bidule, by www.plogue.com. Works on both PC and Mac. Still a freebie, I think, they claim they will commercialize and charge a fee one of these days.

Trond
    I would go with this one. Very stable...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    I would go with this one. Very stable...
    Wow... you're right, it IS stable -- and VERY powerful. I really like Bidule -- and yes, you really can see the family resemblance of Bidule and GPO Studio.

Nice. Thanks for pointing me toward this one, guys!

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Go Back to forum