• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: who can tell something about M-Audio Evolution mk keyboard series ?

Share/Bookmark

who can tell something about M-Audio Evolution mk keyboard series ?

i'm in search of a midi keyboard fuuulllll of controllers (sliders, buttons, rotary knobs, coffee maker) and, at this game, the Evolution "mk" keyboards seem good challengers.
    I already have an Oberheim MC1000 (semi weighted) keyboard and might appreciate an auxiliary light action keyboard for fast lines of every kind.
    Nevertheless, in my area these keyboards are sold as packages, meaning there is no way to try.
    So I'd be grateful to anyone using one of those keybards (mk 449C, 461C), to tell me if he/she thinks that the velocity response if accurate, and/or if the various provided velocity presets are effective and varied enough to compensate one's own action ?
    In other words, is it honest mid-level gear, or toys ?
    Thanks in advance !

Re: who can tell something about M-Audio Evolution mk keyboard series ?

I have one here at work (MK-449C) and it's a nice little keyboard with zillions of controls. The feel of the keys is typical of a keyboard in that price range. They are slightly spring loaded so the touch is a little firmer than some. Velocity sensitivity is fine, though I haven't used it a great deal yet.

I would recommend it for the purpose you mentioned.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Thanks mschiff for this fast feedback.
    Your opinion is encouraging : if I analyse what you say, the response is satisfyingly accurate and the touch is even a little firmer than the competition's.
    In fact my greatest fear would be the kind of keyboard typically unable to deliver velocities below 100-127 even when you just breathe on the keys.....
    As long as a gentle strike can produce an average velocity (even if not TOTALLY accurate), it should do the trick.
    Anyone else using these boards ?

There have been some other discussions relating to this and other desktop midi controllers on this forum. Do some searches to get the full feedback from everyone that has posted their experience.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42
    There have been some other discussions relating to this and other desktop midi controllers on this forum. Do some searches to get the full feedback from everyone that has posted their experience.
    Thanks for taking the time to make this very helpful reply.
    Well, before anything else I DID a search and ended with dozens of threads supposed to contain my keywords. Analysing that amount of -not necessary useful- data, I will be able to buy (or not) the keyboard in about 3 months....
    So if I posted this thread it was not out of lazyness, but just to get direct information related to a very focused topic (Evolution MK 4... keyboards).
    I just wish you the best, i.e that next time you need access for some information about a very well definite topic, you get feedback from people wishing to share, not just lessons givers.

Smile Re: who can tell something about M-Audio Evolution mk keyboard series ?

Oh sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you're lazy! B-)

Its just that there really is some rather useful, long winded and detailed explanations of what people think about the M-Audio, Edirol and other small format midi keyboards out there, and particularly, how well they work with GPO.

But I dunno, maybe when they switched over to the new forum format the old messages were lost?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Sorry too Dewdman,
    if my reply was a bit "dry".
    But really, before posting, I really made the effort to do a search, and was overwhelmed by the mass of data.
    I started reading it, to realize taht 99% was off topic.
    That's the reason why I decided to go ahead with my thread, even if I was aware of the redundant "feeling" of the post.
    And that's also the reason why, disapointed by the 2nd reply, I may have overreacted.
    But it is IMO the dilemma with our computer based era : nothing is out of touch, sometimes with a google inquiry you get information about something which, 20 years ago, would had demanded days of search, book purchases, libraries visits...
    and some other times, either you get nothing, or you are drowned into tons of "raw" and apparently unrelated data.... which makes you lose as much time as in the old days.

Short-winded reply, no search needed...

I recently bought an Edirol PCR-30 for laptop purposes and love it. Preferred the action a lot better in comparison to similar M-Audio and Evolution models.

One work-around for GPO, though, is that the Modulation controller is integrated with the Pitch Wheel in the form of a spring-loaded Roland-style "wangbar", so you'd need to map a slider to CC#1. I love the sliders better than any Mod Wheel, anyway, so it works for me.

So check out the Edirol PCR series (30, 50, 80) if you can. They're more expensive than their peers, but peerless in their expression.

Just an opinion,
    - m

I have the PC-30 also and concur with Markleford about the feel of the keys vs the M-Audio. However, I don't like the sliders any better than the wangbar for mod wheel in GPO..so for me its a toss up which is preferable for GPO use. I use a completely different keyboard for mod wheel programming just for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    Short-winded reply, no search needed...

I recently bought an Edirol PCR-30 for laptop purposes and love it. Preferred the action a lot better in comparison to similar M-Audio and Evolution models.

One work-around for GPO, though, is that the Modulation controller is integrated with the Pitch Wheel in the form of a spring-loaded Roland-style "wangbar", so you'd need to map a slider to CC#1. I love the sliders better than any Mod Wheel, anyway, so it works for me.

So check out the Edirol PCR series (30, 50, 80) if you can. They're more expensive than their peers, but peerless in their expression.

Just an opinion,
    - m
    Thanks for your opinion, Markleford.
    Unfortunately (I should have mentioned it anyway first) I do hate the way Roland/Edirol keyboards integrate the modwheel together with pitchbend (I purchased a Roland a few months ago and had to re-buy it, just for this, because I never got used to it).
    And for me, as long as expression is concerned, nothing can equal the quick response, up and down, of a wheel (versus a slider).
    This the reason why I was looking at those Evolution units, which seem at first glance a good price/feature ratio, with traditional modwheel/pitchbend.

Go Back to forum