• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rimsky-Korsakov`s principles of orchestration!!!

Share/Bookmark

Rimsky-Korsakov`s principles of orchestration!!!

Hello,
    I was on http://www.truespec.com/store/books/rimsky/index.shtml and found it very interesting , there´s many unique things not found in other books...Have someone studied this it???How is it???
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Re: Rimsky-Korsakov`s principles of orchestration!!!

Hi Leo, I am about half way through it and find it very useful. I also have THe Study of Orchestration by Adler. Adler's book covers more of the basics but Rimsky-Korsakovs book has lotso of valuable pieces of advise on orchestration specifically.

IMHO it is well worth buying. I think Peter's version, through Truespec, has some added content or modernisation or something.

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Thank you Sharmy and Scott,

yes , I´ve already studied the old Rimsky-Korsakov (that still very useful) and the Alfredo Casella´s book , but this new one has contemporary techniques...very promising!!!
    It seems these two books in one and some other new things!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    The examples in there are not as good as Peters but there is still more treatment of instrument combinations to be checked out.
    These will be dealt with in Volumes 2-7. We expect volume 2 to release in 2005. Thanks for all your positive words.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    These will be dealt with in Volumes 2-7. We expect volume 2 to release in 2005. Thanks for all your positive words.
    No Kiddin? Cool!

In not so many words I add my endorsements

Talking Re: Rimsky-Korsakov`s principles of orchestration!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    Thank you Sharmy and Scott,

yes , I´ve already studied the old Rimsky-Korsakov (that still very useful) and the Alfredo Casella´s book , but this new one has contemporary techniques...very promising!!!
    It seems these two books in one and some other new things!!!
    Hi. I bought it too but since now it only received sume dust, can't find time to sit on... since my english isn't very well yet this book is extremelly hard to read for me but hey... i'm gonna find some day (whole day) and sit down on my A S S and give it a hard try... till now i've read the 10 pages and had enough....

I'm very tempted to buy this (the downloadable version as I live in the UK) - I already have Adler's "Study of Orechestration" and Piston's "Orchestration". Does this book add anything to these?

What is the main difference between this book and Adler and Piston books?

Is this book more detailed? I have gone through both Adler and Piston, so I need to know if this book will add to that knowledge.

Oh, well - I'll surely buy this book to see if it's a good teaching tool (I'm a teacher).

Just bought the downloadable version and got confirmation for the order by email - but where do I download it from? Has anyone else bought the downloadable version?

Peter,

Will your later volumes be going into any 4 part writing, advanced harmonic theory etc. ?

Thanks,

Colin

Go Back to forum