• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Ram?

Share/Bookmark

More Ram?

Hi, I am planning to buy a second gig of Ram (got 1 in two slots) for PC... I have ddr ram, but I am not sure if it's going at 133, 266 or more Mhz... I still have two free slots...

My questions are:
    Do I have to buy the same type of Ram? Or can I buy 400 Mhz?

Is there any brand preference for Audio?

And just the last one, considering the Win performances, etc... would it be wise to buy it in one slot and save for another gig in the other slot or buy two cheaper 512 mb and save for another DAW when the time and money comes?

Thks a lot!

Regards,

Iván.

Re: More Ram?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P

My questions are:
    Do I have to buy the same type of Ram? Or can I buy 400 Mhz?
    Is there any brand preference for Audio?

And just the last one, considering the Win performances, etc... would it be wise to buy it in one slot and save for another gig in the other slot or buy two cheaper 512 mb and save for another DAW when the time and money comes?

Thks a lot!

Regards,

Iván.
    Hello, Ivan. You do not have to buy the same type of RAM, but your ram will work only at one speed. For example if you have 512Mb on 333Mhz and 512 Mb on 400Mhz, they both will work on 333Mhz. So, there is no point in buying better ram than what you have now (which is probably good enough anyway).
    I have 1gb ram now... and wondering the same.... 1 gb is more expensive than two 512 mb... but I have just one avalaiible slot anyway. I think maybe (for me) is wiser to invest in second computer...
    I was wondering about dual channel mode as well... What happens when there are 3 rams?

[QUOTE=Ani]You do not have to buy the same type of RAM, but your ram will work only at one speed. For example if you have 512Mb on 333Mhz and 512 Mb on 400Mhz, they both will work on 333Mhz. [QUOTE]

Don´t do that!!! If you mix RAM you may get very serious problems with your system. Most likely it will crash all the time. Man, I ´ve been in deep trouble for much less than this, just for mixing different brands of RAM in my machine.
    But if you want to replace your RAM for one with higher frequency, that´s ok, as long as you replace all memory for the same frequecy. And it will avoid upgrading cost later, if you get a MOBO wich has a faster memory bus.

Good Luck!

Ani,

If you put 3 sticks of RAM in a dual channel board, then it will run in single channel mode. They must be put in groups of 2 in the like colored slots for dual channel mode. Most motherboards will have 2 blue and 2 black slots. Usually it will be a pattern like DIMM0 - blue, DIMM1 - black, DIMM2 - blue, DIMM3 - black. If you put 2 sticks into DIMM0 and DIMM1 with this configuration MB, then it would run as single channel. It would run dual channel if you but them in DIMM0 and DIMM2 (the 2 blue ones).

wow... I really did'nt know that... I'll check how's my ram plugged in... thks a lot for the advices!

Regards,

Iván.

You should post your motherboard model here for help. It's possible that 2 of your slots are for SDRAM and 2 are for DDR RAM. There are a few motherboards out like this and for those motherboards you have to run either one kind or the other and in that case you are maxed on RAM already. This is probably not the case as it's kind of rare, but still you need to know your motherboard model and do the research on what kind of RAM you need. You could pull one of your existing sticks and try to determine what it is and get some matching RAM that way also.

fizbin

There is an excellent forum on the Corsair web site, which will answer any question regarding Ram (The Ram Guy)
    They were very helpful when I put together my DAW

Go Back to forum