• Register
  • Help

Topic: Polyphony and GOS

Share/Bookmark

Polyphony and GOS

Hi folks,

I've had GOS for over a year (I think), along with Gigaharp. I've only recently had occasion to really push them hard. Discovered to my dismay that one monophonic undulating 16th-note line, used in legato mode, can quickly use up a huge number of voices, e.g., 60-70. Granted, I'm using a LEG EXP REL patch, but still. Naturally, I attempted to go into the Instrument Editor in Giga 2.5 to shorten the releases on the patch (since you don't REALLY need long releases in a 16th note passage like that), and was non-plussed (this is the MOST ridiculous thing about Giga, and please God let it be as fixed as it sounds like it will be in Giga 3.0). So I have two questions:

1. Can someone give me a quick "how-to" lesson about how to do this, i.e., shorten the releases on a patch without overwriting the original patch? Preferably without having to save a second copy of all the samples.

2. Will this in fact help lessen the polyphony overload?

Thanks,
    Peter

Re: Polyphony and GOS

The REL have release samples. These by design are to occur after you release the note. Try using the Leg Exp patches with the REL on the end. This will take care of the release issue and cut down on polyphony usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    The REL have release samples. These by design are to occur after you release the note. Try using the Leg Exp patches with the REL on the end. This will take care of the release issue and cut down on polyphony usage.
    Thanks--already figured this out. I assume your meant "Leg Exp patches withOUT REL on the end," yes?

Still and all, it would be awfully nice to be able to quickly reduce release times globally for a patch. E.g., for Gigaharp, which uses tons of voices for a glissando because of the release time. Supposedly you'll be able to do this easily in Giga 3.0. I was wondering if there was a good tutorial for the Godawful instrument editor that you have to use in 2.5.

Oops, yep I meant without the REL.

Harp is one of those instruments that is just a polyphony hog. I've found that in Giga that I need to render the harp by itself and usually the strings in 2 or 3 passes. Giga just doesn't have the polyphony to pull this off. Giga 3.0 should have double the polyphony on most fast P4 type systems. You'll still need multiple computers for full orchestrations though. I usually dump piano and harp on another machine so I can hear everything in realtime.

Harp is one of those instruments that is just a polyphony hog. I've found that in Giga that I need to render the harp by itself and usually the strings in 2 or 3 passes. Giga just doesn't have the polyphony to pull this off. Giga 3.0 should have double the polyphony on most fast P4 type systems. You'll still need multiple computers for full orchestrations though. I usually dump piano and harp on another machine so I can hear everything in realtime.
    Thanks for responding againg. Would my P4 running at 2.53GHz and 1.25 GB of RAM qualify as such a system, do you happen to know?

Re the harp, again, in ongoing harp run passages, ability to quickly reduce release time will help a lot with polyphony

BUT... I also noticed that the minute you press one key on one of the GOS LEG EXP REL patches, 8 voices are used. I assume that means that Giga is reserving voices for a x-fade, not that it's actually playing 8 voices for that one note. Am I wrong? Other more "primitive" samplers don't do this--voices aren't subtracted until they're actually in use. So a passage from one note to a second in a LEG EXP REL patch uses 24, and a quick passage quickly piles 'em up. Seems a shame that polyphony is the limiting factor here, but I don't write software, so who am I to say?

You should be able to get hopefully 300 mono voices on your system with Giga 3.0. Unfortunately, since it's still not out there isn't any real benchmarking of it. I have been able in Kontakt to get 200 stereo voices on a P4 2.4 GHz machine but this was without disk streaming. We'll have to see what happens once Giga 3.0 is available.

Which harp are you using? Some of the harps are programmed to mute notes which will help cut down polyphony. You may want to change the amount of reserved voices or whatever they call it in Giga. I've been using Kontakt lately as it allows you to easily change the amount of reserved voices for each sound. Kontakt also imports many of my Giga libraries quite well.

The GOS LEG EXP REL patch is a stereo patch with 4 layers (2x4=8 voices). All voices are active for these crossfade patches. These sound great but are polyphony hogs.

You should be able to get hopefully 300 mono voices on your system with Giga 3.0. Unfortunately, since it's still not out there isn't any real benchmarking of it. I have been able in Kontakt to get 200 stereo voices on a P4 2.4 GHz machine but this was without disk streaming. We'll have to see what happens once Giga 3.0 is available.

Which harp are you using? Some of the harps are programmed to mute notes which will help cut down polyphony. You may want to change the amount of reserved voices or whatever they call it in Giga. I've been using Kontakt lately as it allows you to easily change the amount of reserved voices for each sound. Kontakt also imports many of my Giga libraries quite well.

The GOS LEG EXP REL patch is a stereo patch with 4 layers (2x4=8 voices). All voices are active for these crossfade patches. These sound great but are polyphony hogs.
    I'm using Garritan Gigaharp (or I was, until I ran into the polyphony issue). Once you figure out the glissando implementation it's REALLY cool. But I have quite a lovely harp sound from my Roland 760, so not a big deal.

1. IS there a "reserved voices per channel" function for Giga? That would help a lot. Anybody?

2. Is Kontakt a VST plug-in (i.e., could I use it with Steinberg V-Stack?) And does it offer anything like Legato Mode as used in Giga?

Re the 2 X 4 voices, I wonder if the need to reserve all 8 voices the instant a note is pressed is a Giga limitation or a GOS limitation. Seems like Giga should instantly be able to free up whatever voices aren't actually needed at any given moment. Unfortunately patches like that are why I shelled out for Giga in the first place...

Go Back to forum