• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BEST PIANO LIBRARY TO-DATE?? For KONTAKT??

Share/Bookmark

BEST PIANO LIBRARY TO-DATE?? For KONTAKT??

Hi, I would like to use Kontakt with my Pro Tools rig but what's the BEST piano library on the planet right now?

Talking Re: BEST PIANO LIBRARY TO-DATE?? For KONTAKT??

Oh, man... You should specify what kind of sound do YOU want.
    There are so many piano lib, and each has its own character.

I like Galaxy Piano, White Grand and old EW Steinway B for what I do.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Smile Re: BEST PIANO LIBRARY TO-DATE?? For KONTAKT??

I have quite a few piano libraries, and I like all of them. Different pianos work better in different contexts. But if you made me keep only one, at this point, it would have to be the Galaxy Steinway.

Brian
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: BEST PIANO LIBRARY TO-DATE?? For KONTAKT??

You may want to check out the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290 at www.bardstownaudio.com

Another excellent piano to check out is Franky's Yamaha C7 at www.vintaudio.com

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

What liberary is best for a kind of Thomas Newman piano sound? Also I need a piano liberary that can play softly and still sound great

Maybe PMI Bosendorfer 190

Although the library formats vary at this site, the Purgatory Creek shootout page is a good place to check out...

http://purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

Ditto what the guy above said about different piano samples for different purposes. I'm not a great fan of Kontakt, although I own it and admit to being forced to use it.

I've listened pretty carefully to all the above mentioned piano samples, plus, I think, all the others--in mp3 demos.

I can admit to three "favourites" for my purposes, which are strictly solo classical.

Here they are.

The Milan Steinway is great for live playing in the sense that it is probably the only piano on the market which, when played solo and recorded, will sound like a high-end recording of a live piano. I love this sample.

The Bos 290 8 layer wet plus release samples, I like, simply becuase it has a beautiful and, again, accurate sound; although not as high fidelity-sounding as the Milan sample it's mighty pretty tonally. Very little "artificiality," which is the most difficult thing to avoid in making a piano sample.

Finally, Worra's Black Grand (a Steinway) isn't out yet, but the demos I've heard are very impressive. While it is not recorded as close to the strings (at least SEEMS not to be) as the Milan, has many, many layers and therefore would probably have a very reliable soft even ppp end, and few obvious transitions from one layer to another. Again: a very accurate, non-fake sound. No hint that it might not be real.

Go to each of these sites and check out the demo mp3s, all of them; and make sure you hear lots of SOLO stuff before you hear the sample in a mix.
    Sometimes you can get a demo version of the piano, just a few octaves, which is useful, but not I find those demos that telling.

I've got some classical up at Milan's site and Michiel Post's site. Problem is, it IS classical; and I think the kind of music you're planning to make really does affect the answer to your question. Still, always worth a listen.

JG
    http://artist.amazon.com/johnlewisgrant

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    What liberary is best for a kind of Thomas Newman piano sound?
    I think most people would agree that the Art Vista Malmsjo Acoustic Grand comes the closest.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant

Finally, Worra's Black Grand (a Steinway) isn't out yet, but the demos I've heard are very impressive. While it is not recorded as close to the strings (at least SEEMS not to be) as the Milan, has many, many layers and therefore would probably have a very reliable soft even ppp end, and few obvious transitions from one layer to another. Again: a very accurate, non-fake sound. No hint that it might not be real.

http://artist.amazon.com/johnlewisgrant
    The Black Grand will have three different perspectives: Close, Ambience and medium ambience.
    True about the velocity samples. 16 pedal up, 16 pedal down + 16 releasesamples!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum