• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: How much do you charge for this kind of work ?

Share/Bookmark

Question How much do you charge for this kind of work ?

For a 4 minutes orchestral action fast piece played by a full range orchestra (sampled) for a game ?

i would like to know the ranges.

Re: How much do you charge for this kind of work ?

Ranges: About 0-8000usd depending on who YOU are, who THEY are and what kind of game it's going to be.

Btw, this fits better to the GameSection - not SampleLibDiscussion

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDerell
    Ranges: About 0-8000usd depending on who YOU are, who THEY are and what kind of game it's going to be.

Btw, this fits better to the GameSection - not SampleLibDiscussion
    Let's say:
    Small developer, game is sold to publisher, 3d shooter...
    they want me to write 20 minutes of music including music for intros and cutscenes.

Well... first of all you should charge per minute of complete music.

Second, what kind of money do they have, and how large a publisher?

I would say 400$ a minute is cheap but fair given your a first timer. The standard rate is around 800-1000$. If you can get that then cool! But 400 is still fine...

my $0.05

At any rate, congratulations on the job if you get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Well... first of all you should charge per minute of complete music.

Second, what kind of money do they have, and how large a publisher?

I would say 400$ a minute is cheap but fair given your a first timer. The standard rate is around 800-1000$. If you can get that then cool! But 400 is still fine...

my $0.05

At any rate, congratulations on the job if you get it!
    but it's a >400$ per minute ?

Question Re: How much do you charge for this kind of work ?

BTW> Do you charge additional money for additional sample packs that you'll be needing for the project or it's calculated already in the price ?

yes, 400$ a minute... Alot of money for some small developer, but peanuts for someone who is getting published by say EA

Thats why you need to get details on how large they are, if they have other published games etc.

As for the sample packs... well, there are no rules. Personaly I got a job with the samples I had, and then used alot of my earnings to buy additional stuff.

However I've also managed to get a producer to buy me VSL Saxophones when I needed them, and a developer to get me Ethno World 2 -it depends I guess.

As a thumb rule however I think your expected to have your own stuff when your hired freelance.

Actually what I've been noticing, is the bigger developers, even though it IS peanuts, when hey are workign on B titles or jsut A (not AAA) titles, they KNOW they can get new people at super cheap prices. I was recently asked to go quite a bit lower than my standard rate on a game by a big publisher (and still didnt get the gig ). This was because a competing composer was asking for so little in comparison to my standard rates.

my first game was at 600 a minute. I wouldnt go too much further down from that if I were you unless its a VERY VERY small developer.

and no you dont work in the price of sample libraries, unless you plan to buy it in the developers name and give it to them.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

>>and no you dont work in the price of sample libraries, unless you plan to buy it in the developers name and give it to them.

I disagree with this slightly. You are running a business that has expenses, one being the purchasing of tools. While you cannot expect your client to buy your tools directly, your fee should take into account that you have to incur some expenses.

Post Re: How much do you charge for this kind of work ?

Here are some directions when you are asked to price your work:

1 - Never charge per minute of composition. It is as bad as it would be if a movie maker decided to charge per inch or film. You are not selling time, you are selling your art. One minute from an amateur composer cannot be compared to one minute of composition from a gifted composer. As companies (specially the major ones) always look for quality AND price, try to keep an eye on this.

2 - Don´t charge a lot just because the company that is hiring you is big. Even these companies are envolved in small projects sometimes. And they like to bargain as much as small companies. So, keep competitive.

3 - Don´t charge a lot just because you are famous. That´s stupid, because even you are really famous, there is always a limit in the budget for the soundtrack. If there was no limit, they would always hire John Williams instead of you. :-)

4 - You don´t charge for the music itself. What you are really selling is the right of using your composition as part of a game. So, if they are going to use your soundtrack as part of a game that has an estimated production of 200.000 units, you are going to charge one price. If they intend to distribute it in a bundled package with several other games, that´s a whole new story. So, get informed about the project you are getting into, its no big deal to ask them this kind of information, and it will prevent your from regrets later.

5 - Don´t charge for additional sample packs. If you are going to hire a singer for the job, thats a cost. If you are going to buy a vocal library to use in the project, that´s an investment. The difference is that you can use the same library in another project, and in fact, as many times you wish to use it. So, you only charge for costs, not investments!

6 - And finally, some people here said that 400$ per minute is as cheap price. Well it only depends on the reality of your local market. Try to ask another composers that are in the same area as you are, to get in touch with the reality of your market.

Good Luck!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast