• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "...too many notes."

"...too many notes."

Here is my "Piano 227". I wrote it for a brilliant, virtuoso pianist. She could not play it at tempo.
    She told me, "You left no room for my fingers to 'breathe' ".

This brings to mind what the emperor is supposed to have said to Mozart. "...too many notes."

It is all GPO with the exception of the percussion.

It probably has "too many notes". Y'all will be the ultimate judges of that.
    (I AM from the South.)

Regards to all,

Larry A.

Re: "...too many notes."

Oh, IÕll bet this would be a piece of cake for Piano Man or Nicole hehe.

This brings back old memories of when I was a young guitarist and spent hours trying to master PaganiniÕs Perpetual Motion or one of his violin caprices, just as fast as my poor tired fingers could play.

But then, the advantage of GPO is that you donÕt have to really play at break-neck speed. Just let GaryÕs little guys do it for you. Such fun. By the wayÉ love the piece.

Hi Larry,

the many notes do not disturb me, but I don´t like the sound of your piece. It sounds very synthi and very unnatural. Please don´t get me wrong - the composition for itself is ok, but it sounds to me like a machine where you have to insert a coin at the top and then it starts to play a programmed cue. Unfortunately I have to say that there is much more potential in this song.

I hope I didn´t hurt you, but I just wanna be honest and give some advice and feedback.

"Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

The piano part doesn't sound incredibly difficult to play, although like your pianist said, I think it would require a great deal of stamina. But I think a prof. pianist would have no problems playing this even up to this speed.

Hi Larry, well it doesn't have too many notes - it's more about structuring the composition better. I think you should allow the orchestra to play "solo" more often than you did, of course then the pianist get a little "breathing" time. But it also sharpens the construction of the composition plus give the audience more fun time by hearing more variations in timbre and orchestrations. In other words it would make the composition more interesting.
    However, you have a nice ideas which you developed througout the piece - which is good!

I agree with Blackster that it sounded synthy (specially the strings) in some places but I'm not the right person to give tips in that department.

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Smile Re: "...too many notes."

“Too many notes – that’s it! Too many notes!” (when, as I recall, prompted by a competitive Salieri. To which Mozart retorted “which notes, exactly, would you hav me remove, sire?”

Were you inspired at all by the movement in one of the Prokofiev piano concerti that is totally sixteenth notes for the piano? (If you press me on which, I could find it, but the numbers don’t roll out of my head as well as they used to!)

I agree with a couple other comments here that the “orchestration” does sound a little “synthi”. Is this the grand piano in GPO? To my ears, it needs some EQ and other “presence” to really feel like a concert piano. Great start! (The piano which comes in at around 2:44 almost sounds like a different instrument – perhaps because of the doubling with the mallets, but the “tutti” chords still sound way too artificial.)

Orcas Island

For the genre of composition Larry did, I think the sound is appropriate. This may be what Larry intended. A while ago there was a post about criticism where we discussed that if a piece is criticized, the poster is to provide advice as to how to improve it rather than focus only on the negative. Sorry this rule did not totally hold up and I hope that you gleaned some help from those who offered constructive feedback.

Keep up the good work Larry. I enjoyed your music and hope you post more.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Although I have been composing/arranging for many decades, I am just a beginner in the world of sample libraries.

As an experiment, I played some of my GPO works on four different sound systems. On three of the "lower end" systems, including a so-called "boom box", a friend's home audio system and an automobile CD player, the instruments had a tendency to sound a bit "synthy". Through my professional recording studio system, which doesn't "color" the audio, the overall sound is natural and realistic. Go figure.

Best regards to all.

Larry A.

Not too many notes, just really busy, but hey, that's what this piece is supposed to be, right? Here's something that I think would help out with the feel. There is a common problem that I see in pieces like this.... they should be played in real time, but if that's not possible, then after all the notes and programming is done, go back through and make sure that nothing in the piece is quantized. I feel that quantizing should only be used in pop oriented music, but even then, not always. If classical music is quantized, it will always sound synthetic and un-natural. Lot's of work though.

NW Illinois

I think this is great. We have the choice now to spend weeks, months, whatever it takes to tweak our GPO performance to make it as lifelike as possible. Or we can get satisfaction by doing quick mock-ups and hear our compositions without getting obsessive about every detail. The choice is up to the composer.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast