• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Stem Cell Research?

Share/Bookmark

Stem Cell Research?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Heard Ron Reagan talking about stem cell research today and am wondering how Brady and other anti-choice people feel about the subject. Just curious.

rgb

Re: Stem Cell Research?

I've heard scant information on this subject, but what little I've heard suggested that there is no advantage to stem cell research on fetuses over research on adult samples.

If that is true, then my position is obviously why bother doing it on fetuses? Even if you are pro-choice, why invite the controversy into your research?

Rob

Actually, there is supposedly a slight advantage in that the fetal cells are more versatile. But the research can still be accomplished with adult cells from what I've read.

I've heard that the adult cells aren't nearly as useable as the fetal cells.

So, do you agree with Bush's ban?

I'm not really familiar with the reasoning behind the ban. Do you have any details?

Rob

I did just find something interesting:

"Unless you've spent the last several years stranded on a deserted island, you've probably heard of at least some of these medical miracles. But here's what you may have missed. While the overwhelming majority of favorable media coverage of stem cells concerns those pulled from human embryos, called embryonic stem cells (ESCs), not a single treatment listed above has used that kind of cell." (-emphasis mine)

- from http://www.insightmag.com/news/2004/...p-682587.shtml

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robh
    not a single treatment listed above has used that kind of cell.
    True. The issue is about stem cell research.

And certainly there are ethical questions. For instance, we may have access to more than enough embryos today for the research without the need for even one abortion. But if we found these stem cells to be the fountain of youth, how many embryos would we be required to meet the need? Would a black-market embryo industry appear? On the other hand, if a small number of cells could cure alzheimers, wouldn't that be wonderful?

It's not a simple situation, and there are many unknowns. It's impossible to really know the consequences of our actions.

-Jon Fairhurst

I'm curious to know if those who oppose abortion and stem-cell research also support invitro fertilization for couples having trouble conceiving.

Apparently the IVF process involves the discarding of thousands of embryos. I would think if one opposes the others, they'd have to oppose this as well.

rgb

I think we should use dead Iraqis for stem cell research. Might as well put all that death to good use. Maybe Haliburton can find a way to turn a profit with it. Viva America!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    True. The issue is about stem cell research.

And certainly there are ethical questions. For instance, we may have access to more than enough embryos today for the research without the need for even one abortion. But if we found these stem cells to be the fountain of youth, how many embryos would we be required to meet the need? Would a black-market embryo industry appear? On the other hand, if a small number of cells could cure alzheimers, wouldn't that be wonderful?

It's not a simple situation, and there are many unknowns. It's impossible to really know the consequences of our actions.

-Jon Fairhurst
    What was missing from my above quote and covered in the article was that adult stem cell research has provided cures. The point of the article was we should be developing on what is working now (adult stem cell research), not concentrating on what is probable (embryonic stem cell research).

Rob

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast