• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Something different

Something different

Hello all,

I'm in the process of wrapping up the music for this interesting little short film based around prime numbers. Being the wacko that I am, I decided to incorporate the prime number theme into the score. Hence I divided the octave into...well, 12 tones, and only used the notes that happened to be prime numbers in the octave. I ended up with a 5-tone scale, and even though the music does not strictly adhere to the n-tone scale priciples of 20th century compositions, it does only make use of those 5 notes for all the melodic and harmonic content.

Anyhoo, I guess by now everyone is curious to hear what it sounds like so here's the link:

Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Re: Something different

That's remarkably beautiful...What was the samples?

Very nice midphase. Thanks for sharing it.

by this do you mean that you only played root, third, fifth and seventh of the chords?

Nice piece BTW

Actually it means that if C is note #1 (and B is #12) I used only D#,D,E,F#, and A# (2,3,5,7 and 11 respectively).

My tempos were also all prime numbers hence in order to hit certain cuts I had to shift tempo changes around various bars and play with meter changes more than I would have in another project.

It was an interesting experiment, brought back memories of my college days when I was absorbed into trying to come up with meaningful music using 12-tone scales. A teacher once told me that music is based on rules and structures. It is the artist's role in negotiating these rules that creates the art of music. Without barriers and structures there is no music, there is no art. This contrasts quite heavily with one of my favorite composer's words which I will quote:

"I certainly had no feeling for harmony, and Schoenberg thought that that would make it impossible for me to write music. He said, 'You'll come to a wall you won't be able to get through.' So I said, 'I'll beat my head against that wall.' " --John Cage

As far as instrumentation used, it's the usual potpourry of libraries. Some GOS, QLSO and XSample on the woodwinds and harp. Also very subtle french horns from Dan Dean Brass. I am beginning to feel very strongly about not relying exclusively on a single library but rather on blending different ones together.

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Elfen put it very nicely when he said 'this is remarkably beautiful'. I really enjoyed this piece. Great work.

Thumbs up Re: Something different

Indeed something different. But very good. Great.

"Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

This is a beautiful piece. Very impressive that you could start out with such a restrictive premise and come up with something so perfect for its purpose.

-- Martin

I really like the texture . And also great idea of using prime numbers.

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

A very "haunting" quality to the piece. Was all of the accompaniment also constrained to D, D#, E, F# and A# ? I think the rhythms being in the scheme as well is very subtle (and practically speaking, almost impossible to discern "on the fly").

I'm with you on the multitude of libraries approach, by the way. Lately, I'm coming to realize that one needs to "pick and choose" among the repertoire of facilities at hand to produce the best final result.

Go Back to forum