• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Moore's Dual Registration

Share/Bookmark

Ear Training

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Another poll: What exercises have you found most effective in training your ears?

Re: Moore's Dual Registration

And the point of this tripe is?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    And the point of this tripe is?
    No point...I started a post on one topic, decided I didn't want to go down that road and changed it. I tried deleting the post entirely before anyone responded, but can't seem to do that.

Thanks for the swipe.

Sorry, I was responding to the original post which I thought was kind of petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Phoenix
    Sorry, I was responding to the original post which I thought was kind of petty.
    No problem...I agree that it was going to come off as petty so I tried to delete it. The story got me thinking about voter fraud so I was going to post it and talk about voter fraud, but then realized that it might appear that I was accusing Moore of voter fraud, which was not and is not my intention.

As for the voter fraud, the only comment I was going to make was that we need a system that can't be manipulated by either side or fringe groups and that I had hoped the Diebold voter machines had actually worked.

All: Please disregard the title of the post with my apologies...please feel free to answer the ear training question....I'm very curious as to how people develop their ear.

Re: Ear Training

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    Another poll: What exercises have you found most effective in training your ears?
    Listening to Air America Radio.

Re : Ear Training

There's a program called 'Auralia' by Rising Software (published by Sibelius I think) which is very good for testing intervals, chords ('classical' and 'jazz'), scales and modes, and rhythms.

Other than that it's basically common sense stuff. Sight reading for your instrument. Try joining a choir. Sight singing really helps. Take pieces you think you know and try and work them out by ear. Compare what you've worked out with the score. I'm sure you can think of loads of things you can do for yourself too.

Like anything, keep practicing and you will improve for sure. I've improved with practice, although I can never see myself getting to the stage where I can take in an entire page of orchestral score and hear it in my head (some people I've been taught by say they can do this, and it amazes me).

Steve

Thanks amigos! I'm now trying to re-learn sight-singing from the approach where each tone has a signature sound (i.e. "FA" is always "FA") vs signing each and every separate interval. So far I can get many of the tones, but it'll take some time to get all 12.

This approach is from the Muse-Eek ear training concepts. At first I thought it was screwy, but I think it actually makes sense. Then again, I'm still learning.

Hi Wes,

What are you interested in improving in terms of musical ability when you say you want ear training suggestions?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by runamuck
    Hi Wes,

What are you interested in improving in terms of musical ability when you say you want ear training suggestions?

Jim
    Jim,

Basically I have trouble taking music out of my head. I can't compose without the aid of an instrument, but then the instrument factors into the composition and screws up the music.

I guess what I'm asking is in a general sense is how people got themselves from "point A" to where they are now, i.e. what training (esp ear training) did they find the most productive, what works, what doesn't, etc.

Thanks!
    Wes

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast