• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Downloadable Liberaries....

Share/Bookmark

Downloadable Liberaries....

Developers : do it!

MusicLabs lets you download their software onec you have purchased it, and then later send it to you. Its pure genious

Obviously its not possible for large liberaries, but surely its possible for quite a few.

Personaly I know I sometimes would have bought something right here and now if I could download it immediately after purchase. For instance right now the Malmsjö Acoustic Grand is tempting me... But I want it now! Not in 10 days

I no this issue has been up before, but I really want to state how could an idea I think it is, and how I think it could be quite profitable

Re: Downloadable Liberaries....

I agree. Couldn't you simply set up a download server and simply pay for the bandwidth you use? If your selling a 1 GB library, for me 1 Gb of data transfer costs $5 CDN...less if you even use more! So you end up paying maybe $5/GB transferred. That might even be less than you would spend on shipping the library.

So how long would it take? My hosting company have fast dl speeds avg at about 200k/sec. Decent I would say would be 100k/sec, so you would be looking at about a 3 hr download worst case for a 1 gig library.

I don't think there is any excuse for developers not to provide this. Speed certainly isn't a factor. I think most people would rather have their product in a matter or hours than days. Security isn't a factor as I am a programmer and I am aware of many ways to ensure a secure, one-time download. Heck I could even work something up for anyone who wanted it.

Developers move forward! No shipping costs for the seller, no unessesary waiting or problems with customs for the buyer. I would say it is a win-win situation. If any developers want to get a cost estimate on a system like this PM me, you might be surprised at what kind of ROI you might be looking at.

What do others think? Is there a strong demand for this? I know I would hop on board.

Well.. I would still like my CD's shipped...so for me its not a matter of saving money. Rather of getting my product fast... I would love to buy a few liberaries when I suddenly feel like it....

mmmhh...this post reminds me something....

....wait...Leoooooooo....where are you?

seriously, I'm a fan of this argument, but from the big post I started I've understood that developers simply don't know how to do that kind of business.
    The only person that created something after that post (I don't know if he was inspired by it) is Peter Alexander for his books, great learning resources. I hope people appreciated his new way.

Although I've noticed that libraries are still growing as space needed, I don't understand why, so it applies to older or smaller libraries (1-4 CD) not to the huge "my hard disk exploding" libraries.
    Many libraries are still into that size, but...I cannot do more than agree with you and hope....

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Lux
    mmmhh...this post reminds me something....

....wait...Leoooooooo....where are you?

seriously, I'm a fan of this argument, but from the big post I started I've understood that developers simply don't know how to do that kind of business.
    The only person that created something after that post (I don't know if he was inspired by it) is Peter Alexander for his books, great learning resources. I hope people appreciated his new way.

Although I've noticed that libraries are still growing as space needed, I don't understand why, so it applies to older or smaller libraries (1-4 CD) not to the huge "my hard disk exploding" libraries.
    Many libraries are still into that size, but...I cannot do more than agree with you and hope....

Luca
    I´m here...making lots of downloads!!!

I won´t comment this time!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

I think one thing that would scare developers off from doing this is security over the links...

Most just simply don't have the know-how or the resources to do secure links, what's to say that one person doesn't buy it and share that link with ten friends?

Even if the developer takes down the file after the person who paid for it is done d/l'ing - his friends could be d/l'ing at the same time...

I would love to see downloadable content, I would just love to see it protected...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Yeah... I see the prob.

Diva would be a perfect downloadable liberary. I would have gotten it much earlier I'm sure...

Same as Malmsjö. Ill likely get it at some point, but would have it now if it was downloadable.

Alan,

I am a computer programmer and experienced in web programming. I will be the first one to say that ensuring a one-time single download isn't that hard to do. I can think of about 3 different methods off the top of my head to ensure that the link can not be 'shared'. I have bought software online b4 and have experienced a few different ways in which this sercurity had been implemented.

If someone really wanted to share it with their friends couldn't they just make a copy of the CD as well? BTW there are many ways to tell if someone is download the same file (link) at the same time. That can be avoided easily.

What developers of all software might want to really think about is this: Why is piracy an issue? Because you mass product your software on CD, and distribute it. When one person cracks it or shares their serial number, anybody else with the copy of the CD can gain access to the software. So you share your copy and your serial number and everyone else should be good to go. Of course the ideal solution is to have a slightly different program(code) on each CD where are there is only one possible serial number to gain access to that peice of software. OF course that isn't feasible to tell your CD or DVD distributer that you want 10,000 slightly different softwares written. Now imagine this...... someone logs in, buys their product. The system then takes some unique ID from that buyers computer to COMPILE the program and then distribute that unique copy. There you go, you just have purchased a unique peice of software that will only run on your machine. Compiling a program based on some sort of buyer input data will take out the legs of piraters if not remove them all together. Of course this is not possible when you are mass producing something on CD. However technology could be implementable with downloads that are purchased and generated online.

The problem isn't detecting piracy, it's preventing it. You can be sure that right now web-based downloads are just as secure and selling a hard copy. However once you have the complete software in your hards, what your buyers do with it is up to them. You can make a copy of the CD, just like you can make a copy of the file you just downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    ... what's to say that one person doesn't buy it and share that link with ten friends?

Even if the developer takes down the file after the person who paid for it is done d/l'ing - his friends could be d/l'ing at the same time...
    Take a look at Wizoosounds.com...
    they let you download only 5 times, then nothing more, you don't know where the files are stored and you simply cannot do anything to make downloading your friends after the fifth time.

It's a good method, I've bought a lot of sounds from them, sometimes only for curiosity. As example, I downloaded the strings packages, and now I use always the violas (very tender ones).
    Many purchases from us all are really only for curiosity imho, sometimes we discover sounds that we use, sometimes not...but ...well what a pleasure to buy and use a sound after 10 minutes...

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    I´m here...making lots of downloads!!!

Go Back to forum