• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Stone King" (Rough Draft) Finished!

Share/Bookmark

"The Stone King" (Rough Draft) Finished!

Well, between work and family I've finally finished it (at least the rough draft--it'll probably change after my composition professor gets done bleeding all over it). "The Stone King" is approx. 10 min & 30 sec in length. I might consider doing a longer reprisal of the original theme--it all depends on what feedback I get.

You can download "The Stone King" MP3 from: https://home.comcast.net/~foster.payne/stoneking.mp3
    If you'd like to look at the physical score, you can download it from: https://home.comcast.net/~foster.pay...neking_pdf.pdf

Finale 2003a was the playback device, and the GPO instrumentation I used was the following (by section):
    • Flute Ens2, Flute Solo V, Oboe 1 Modern Ens1, English Horn 1 Solo, BB Clarinet Ens1, Bass Clarinet Ens1, Bassoon 1 Ens1, Contrabassoon 1 Solo
    • French Horn 1 Ens1, French Horn Mute Ens1, FHorn Overlay F, Tpt 2 Ens1, Tpt Overlay, Tpt Straight Mute Ens1, Tenor TBone Ens2, TBone Overlay, Bass Trombone 1 Solo, Tuba 2 Solo
    • Timpani, Basic Orch Perc Combo, Glockenspiel, Grand Symphonic Marimba, Percussion Toys
    • Vlns 1 Sus+Short, Vlns 1 Trills H, Violin 1 Gagli Solo, Vlns 2 Sus+Short, Vlns 2 Trills H, Violas Sus+Short, Violas Trills H, Viola Solo, Cellos Sus+Short, Cellos Trills H, Cello 1 Solo, Basses Sus+Short
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: "The Stone King" (Rough Draft) Finished!

Fossman, great job.
    You did an excellent job getting that kind of playback from Finale. Your professor's lucky to have you for a student.

Jeff

That sounds amazing coming from a notation program...

Great job... my stuff with notation programs usually sound really "stiff", this dosen't seem that way. How did you do that?

Thanks for sharing, keep up the great work.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Alan, I can send you the MUS file if you'd like to look at how I programed in the MIDI controls.
    C. Foster Payne

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    Alan, I can send you the MUS file if you'd like to look at how I programed in the MIDI controls.
    Hey Fossman,

I use Finale for playback quite a bit as well. I would also be interested in knowing how you did this! Wonderful work!!!

Jerry

Awesome work!

Well, I'll try and post an explanation. (Remember, this is using Finale 2003a. Later versions might work differently)
    • To start with I changed the dynamics in the expression tool to Mod Wheel values instead of Velocity values.
    • Anywhere I wanted a gradual change in dynamic (this particular piece uses predominantly decrescendo, although there are a few crescendos) I would "create" a new expression. The text would go between angle brackets < > and the option for making text invisible between these bracks would be selected. I would execute a shape under "playback options" attached to Mod Wheel that I'd create by hand.
      • Under "Playback Options" hit Select --> Create --> Shape ID --> Create.
      • Show the Grid and set it to eight notes.
      • Draw a line either ascending or descending, depending on if you are trying to increase or decrease in dynamics. The line should extend horizontally the number of eigth notes you want to cover (remeber that each dot usually equals four eigth notes). Vertically, the line should cover the difference from one dynamic to another (e.g. from fortissimo value of 127 to mezzoforte value of 67, the difference is 60). Use the "V" position box to gauge the length and height of your line.
    • Whenever I wanted to change an instrument (say from violin ensemble to solo violin) I would again use the expression tool and label it "solo violin" between angle brackets. For the "Playback Options" I would assign the value to "Channel" and pick whatever channel the solo violin was on in the GPO Studio. (Just remember, you need to change the instrument back using the same method!)
    • For the playback of accents and such I would alter the "Artuculation Selection" menu values to Mod Wheel again (although Percussion needs to remain Velocity, so just make another copyof the same articulations at the bottom of the menu using Velocity).

There were variations of the above methods, but that's the basis of what I did. If you would like to see the details of what I did, let me know and I can e-mail the MUS file to you!

I hope this helped.
    C. Foster Payne

Fossman,

Excellent writing. What an undertaking! If this is a rough draft I can't wait to hear the finished work.

It is amazing you did this all in notation. You were able to get some convincing expression.

I would like to post the Finale file if you wouldn't mind sharing it. Very helpful tips on how you did this.

Thank you for posting this.

Gary Garritan

No problem, Gary!
    C. Foster Payne

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    Well, I'll try and post an explanation. (Remember, this is using Finale 2003a. Later versions might work differently)
    • To start with I changed the dynamics in the expression tool to Mod Wheel values instead of Velocity values.
    • Anywhere I wanted a gradual change in dynamic (this particular piece uses predominantly decrescendo, although there are a few crescendos) I would "create" a new expression. The text would go between angle brackets < > and the option for making text invisible between these bracks would be selected. I would execute a shape under "playback options" attached to Mod Wheel that I'd create by hand.
      • Under "Playback Options" hit Select --> Create --> Shape ID --> Create.
      • Show the Grid and set it to eight notes.
      • Draw a line either ascending or descending, depending on if you are trying to increase or decrease in dynamics. The line should extend horizontally the number of eigth notes you want to cover (remeber that each dot usually equals four eigth notes). Vertically, the line should cover the difference from one dynamic to another (e.g. from fortissimo value of 127 to mezzoforte value of 67, the difference is 60). Use the "V" position box to gauge the length and height of your line.
    • Whenever I wanted to change an instrument (say from violin ensemble to solo violin) I would again use the expression tool and label it "solo violin" between angle brackets. For the "Playback Options" I would assign the value to "Channel" and pick whatever channel the solo violin was on in the GPO Studio. (Just remember, you need to change the instrument back using the same method!)
    • For the playback of accents and such I would alter the "Artuculation Selection" menu values to Mod Wheel again (although Percussion needs to remain Velocity, so just make another copyof the same articulations at the bottom of the menu using Velocity).

There were variations of the above methods, but that's the basis of what I did. If you would like to see the details of what I did, let me know and I can e-mail the MUS file to you!

I hope this helped.
    Yes, it sure did!!!! Thanks very much! Those are some great tips!

Jerry

Go Back to forum