• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Will Halion 3 import Kontakt .nks format?

Share/Bookmark

Question Will Halion 3 import Kontakt .nks format?

Read in the specs that Halion 3 imports Kontakt samples. Does this include the Kontakt .nks (monolith) file format as well?

Thank's in advance.

Cheers

Rodney

Re: Will Halion 3 import Kontakt .nks format?

I doubt that it will import nks files. I don't think NI will reveal the file-format, as this is not only a compact format (like the new halion hsb) but a copy-protection for the libraries coming with kompakt/kontakt player versions.

Malte

Thank's for your reply Malte.

I also have the feeling that you're right in your assumptions about NI, and this is one of the major reasons I don't want to use NI stuff and move away from them completely.

You might of course be right...but if anyone else knows if this is possible or not for a fact, I'd very much appreciate any input.

Perhaps one of the Steinberg people, or anyone esle who's been working with Halion 3 could answer this?

Thank's in advance.

Cheers

Rodney

Exclamation Re: Will Halion 3 import Kontakt .nks format?

I heard through a second party that GPO nki and nkm files open flawlessly in HALion3. However, I don't know any more than that. It would seem that the real power would like in being able to tweak and re-save instrumentation in HAL3 format, but I simply don't know enough about it. Right now I'm focussing on other things (am underscore and post audio for a short film), but plan to take HALion3 through it's paces in the coming weeks.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Thank's for your reply Houston...much appreciated.

Nice to know it works well with .nki and .nkm. However, I'm really curious to know if and how it works with the .nks files...it would be great if it did, but I'm not betting on it.

Anyways, if Houston or anyone else gets the chance to try the .nks files out in HAL3, any info on this matter would be much apprecited indeed.

Thank's again for your reply.

Cheers

Rodney

Hi,

i've a soluce to export any .nks. It's easy for any programmer.

But i don't know if it's legal or not.

When you buy a .gig / .fxp / akai /roland .... you can convert it. it's allowed

But when you buy a Kompakt library and you convert it into a .fxp or .gig,
    i don't know if it's legal.

For example, i've the Galaxy Steinway. And i know how convert it for my private use. But i wan't to do this. (i don't know if it's allowed). But i've paid for those samples and it would be nice to use them in another format.

Regards,

Olivier

I'd love to know how to use those Kompakt libraries in other samplers.
    The Kompakt player doesn't work for me (I'm still under 9 and have huge problems with it) and I also like to tweak samples/programs extensively; being able to load them in another sampler would be a godsend.
    I have QLSO Percussion and the diskstreaming is horrendous; it would be great to be able to import them in say the Exs24 (or Halion 3 when it arrives this week:P)

Legally, I can't see a huge problem with this; you've bought the library, and although you don't *own* the samples IMHO you should be able to use them the way you see fit.

In that regard I find the current crop of 'romplers' like the libs based on Kompakt or UVI a huge drawback.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joris de Man
    I have QLSO Percussion and the diskstreaming is horrendous; it would be great to be able to import them in say the Exs24 (or Halion 3 when it arrives this week:P)
    Joe , Your system might not be optimized for DFD. The latest DFD works quite well ( I use it every day with very few glitches..).

Thumbs up Re: Will Halion 3 import Kontakt .nks format?

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier
    Hi,

i've a soluce to export any .nks. It's easy for any programmer.

But i don't know if it's legal or not.

When you buy a .gig / .fxp / akai /roland .... you can convert it. it's allowed

But when you buy a Kompakt library and you convert it into a .fxp or .gig,
    i don't know if it's legal.

For example, i've the Galaxy Steinway. And i know how convert it for my private use. But i wan't to do this. (i don't know if it's allowed). But i've paid for those samples and it would be nice to use them in another format.

Regards,

Olivier
    Well... as far as I know you shouldn't be allowed to convert those libs also... I mean the AKAI, GIG and so on...

All licenses are provided as is for that media and that format... like DVDs... you cannot just copy them to VHS, legally... I think... anyway...

I am very interested in what you found out for the nks files and I bet a lot of people would be... why don't you write a utility to make possible the use of nks files in other samplers?

If it's legal for AKAI and GIGS it must be also legal for those, and if it's not even for AKAIs and GIGs it really looks like nobody cares...

Best,

Simone Coen
    Simone Coen
    Musician, Producer, Sample Library Producer
    www.chocolateaudio.com

Olivier and Joris...thank's for your replies.

Olivier...if you indeed have an easy method that is a solution to this program...then I'd be very interested in hearing it. Please PM me or mail me...or if you want to, post it here. I doubt you could be held responsible for what anyone else does with his/hers samples.

Still...if HAL3 can indeed import .nks files it would be great...but something tells me that would be too good to be true...and certainly too good to be NI.

But...then again, perhaps this is the time they will prove me wrong.

Thank's in advance for any further info on this matter.

Cheers

Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast