• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 1st piece in 8 yrs.

1st piece in 8 yrs.

I quit music 8 years ago, cold turkey! Just started again a couple months ago. Actually, I wrote a few tunes in May to prove to myself I was serious about getting back into music again before forking out the big bucks for SISS. I've, since, picked up KHSS and Cubase SE.
    I bought Alexander's Writing For Strings course and slowly went through the first few lessons. Decided it was time to have some fun, write and record something, learn the string libs and Cubase a little. Now I have to get my non-academic butt in gear, and put some elbow grease into studying this string writing course. Then, eventually, expand into a full orchestra worth of samples, and learn some more.
    Anyway, this forum is a great source of info and inspiration. I believe I gain a lot from listening to the music folks post here. So, I figured I'd bite the bullet and show ya some of what I'm working on.

This is SISS with just a bit of KHSS layered in here and there.

Sketch mp3

Edit: Here's an alternate link if the other doesn't work - Sketch mp3

Re: 1st piece in 8 yrs.

I must say that I like it.

Siss sounds really good.

very nice.

I really like it too. It is intense and sad and akward. The balance of dissonance and harmony is brilliant. It just has so much character. I would love to hear more of your music.

It sounded keyboardy in just a couple spots. I'm not sure but it sounded almost like it had a chorus effect on it, or maybe the dulling effect you hear when you run out of polyphony. Only in one or two spots. I think you could mix it better too.

I think you owe the world an apology for throwing away 8 years of your life.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

Luca and Michael,

Thanks a lot for the comments. Really appreciate it.
    Yeah Michael, I know what you mean about the synthy sounds here and there, and agree that the mix could be (a whole lot) better. I don't have any natural talent for mixing, but, hopefully, will be able to raise the level a few notches with some practice. It is fun to do.

Wow, 8 years without composing. I couldn't do that if I tried. Impressive piece for someone who hasn't been composing for 8 years. The song gets better and better as it goes on, and it sounds ultra-realistic by the end. Just keep it up this time, don't quit.

Heh , is it happening only with me???The link is not working!!!
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Leo, I'm guessing it's the weird filename of that mp3 causing the problem. I put another link up in the original post. Maybe you could try that out and see if it works.

Greatzed, Thanks a bunch for the encouragement. I can't believe that I quit for so long. It wasn't pre-meditated, it just happened. I'm 51 now, and started young (piano lessons 6 yrs. old, etc.) I logged some pretty insane musical hours for a lot of years before taking that extended rest. It's a good thing. When I quit, music wasn't fun for me anymore. Now it's a definite gas again.

What OS/Browser are you using Leo? How do you encode mp3's? (you tried both links right?)If you don't mind answering, I'd like to figure out why it isn't working. Thanks!

FYI, I'm using Lame, with Razor Lame for the front end, to do the mp3 encoding. Have it set at 320kbit and "optimization" set to "Quality". All other settings default.

I got it , finally...

...I liked your piece a lot , but I don´t think this composition sounds in the best way only for strings...the impression that I had is that it was composed for the full orchestra...maybe later you should try rendering it for all intruments , it will be even better...
    ...keep up the good work , music has endless fun!!!

Go Back to forum