• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings-anyone using it?

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings-anyone using it?

Hello everybody! I am pretty new to the wonderful world of orchestral samples and as far as my gear goes... well I guess I'm pretty old-school: I have got a Roland XV-5080 with 128 MB of sample RAM, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how big the patches in the Kirk Hunter VSS are. You see, I've got very limited RAM. I guess I could handle pathes up to 16 MB size, but anything bigger than that would just make it difficult if I was to compose "big-sounding" structures. I have recently got the AO-lib and think that the string-ensemble patches is this library are big enough (approx. 10-12MB).

Now, as I said just recently I bought the Advanced Orchestra Set to improve my orchestral mock-ups (I've been using the XV-5080 with SRX-04 and -06 as well as the extremely useless E-mu Virtuoso 2000 up until now). Even though the AO-library is old, I like some of the strings (particulary the "lurking behind a corner"-esque pizzicatos, and the library itself is certainly much (understatement) better than both the (over-compressed) SRX-04 and-06 exp cards). Because I like some/many of the strings in AO very much I wonder if they would blend well with the Kirk H Virtuoso Series Strings? If not, is there any other sample-libraries that could give me some kick-[nss][nss][nss] strings that is also ment for older samplers? (remember that I don't use giga)

Re: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings-anyone using it?

You might want to take a look at Garritan's Lite version of his Orchestral Strings.

Funny I hadn't noticed the Garritan Lite before... I always thought they were for giga only. Anyway, I read on the Garritan-website that the library came with a special edition of chicken system stranslator, so that it would be compatible with most hardware samplers. My XV-5080 can, in addition to s700-series read both S-1000 and S-3000 but I don't want to buy a library spending time creating patches as you will have to do when using akai-libraries on the XV-5080, (or at least that is what I am told). When using this chickensys-translator, would the program be able to translate all patches with the filters and mapping, or would I have to map and tweak myself? Also, how big is the "average" Garritan Lite violin/cello legato patch?

I've never used the Lite version or the XV-5080, so I don't know anything about how the translation might work. I've had to do a lot of tweaking for the conversion of the full GOS from Giga to EXS, but I don't know if the Lite version uses as much complex programming. I'd suggest you post over on the Garritan and/or Chickensys sections of the Forum. Both Garth and Gary are extremely helpful.

Given your memory limmitations, it might pose a problem. As to the Kirk Hunter Solo Strings library, I use it, and I love it. I use it with EWQLSO Platinum and it sits real well in there.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings-anyone using it?

Hello Shantar, welcome to the NorthernSounds forum!

Getting back to your question about the "Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings"..... I think they're just great. I do not have the "Kirk Hunter SOLO STRINGS".... but I can certainly speak very highly of the "Virtuoso Series Strings." I find that the library is very well recorded and blends extremely well in the mix. Hope that this helps.
    Checkout the demos here:
    http://www.ilio.com/ilio/virtstrings/#demos

G.

Thank you all for your replies! I think I will buy myself a new hardwaresampler
    with a bit more RAM anytime soon. I was thinking about the Akai Z8 sampler, but I am not sure if the Z8 can translate and import akai S1000 and S3000 as its native format, or if it will only read the partials just like a Roland sampler would with a akai-formatted disk. Anyone know anything about that perhaps? The Z8 can be expanded with up to 512 MB RAM, and that should be enough for the strings? My other option is to buy a new Roland Fantom-XR which can be expanded to 544(I think) MB RAM. The only problem with this sampler is that it can only import wav and aiff files, not any sample-library formats; not even rolands own S7xx series. If I was going to buy Gigastudio 160, I would have to build myself a new computer, and my experience with computers are that they are not reliable at all. Thats the main reason I won't use Giga.

Exclamation Re: Kirk Hunter Virtuoso Series Strings-anyone using it?

What??? Computer's Unreliable??? Not gonna use Giga????

The synth modules (like XV-5080) are good to add "flavoring" in the mix.... But really, I feel you need to get into computer-based samplers. The difference is absolutely amazing.
    Shantar..... this is just a suggestion..... Build a real good "reliable"computer system, add a good sequencer (like Sonar) and get GigaStudio 3.0 when it's released. Really, you will be very happy you did it. ....... Gary

Gary....That made my day!

Yes, I have been considering building myself a costom-made computer for Giga, but it would be expensive. However, not as expensive as buying a new hardware sampler... Another issue is that I've allready got Symphony of voices and AO in S700 format, and I know that Gigasampler won't be able to translate those disk. Fortunately that is were Chichensys takes over, right? Now, as I think I mentioned earlier I'm not very into tweaking and mapping samples, therefore it would be very helpful if anybody out there could tell me if they have tried to convert S700-libraries (and perhaps SOV and AO) into Giga and if the translation went well (no need for tweaking and mapping etc).
    Another question regarding the Gigastudio 160 (or the new Gigasampler(or was it studio?) 3.0: Does it have any built-in effects like reverb? Finnally my last question: My soundcard is a Audiophile 2496. Is it good enough for Giga if one is mainly composing orchestral-type of music or would there be latenzy problems?

Go Back to forum