OT: My wife's clients film opens tomorrow.... July 2nd

She reps the writer....

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/

Catch it if you get a chance!

Thanks!

KID-

Re: OT: My wife's clients film opens tomorrow.... July 2nd

Kid

As this is an off topic thread... ... did I read that you used Alesis M1 active monitors? If so, how are they with orchestral samples?

Forgive the hijack.

Good luck to your wife's client's film.
    Heath

"everyone sit still and don't move, this is a hijack" J/K

Thanks Heath! I hope the flick does well... we'll see? I missed the premier, was in mexico on a surfing trip. followed by a ---->

But no, I don't use Alesis M1's. I was trying to make a funny. I used to use them way back and hated 'em. I've had Genelec 1032A's for about 2 years now, before that it was Event 20/20's, before that the M1's...

I must tell you, my mixes have grown leaps and bounds since I got the 1032A's. Best $4,500 I've spent in the studio yet.... aside from VSL

KID-

Thanks for that, Kid.

The 1032As certainly seem to have acquired a legendary status with a price to match - more than twice the price of Bruce Richardson's favourite speaker, the Dynaudio BM6A. Wowch! There's an alternate universe out there where quality really does come cheap. Pity we ain't living in it.

The Clearing looks like an interesting film. Great cast too. Hope it brings you and your family rewards.

Cheers
    Heath

On another side note, the BBC just bought about a zillion Dynaudio AIR speakers. I must say, that slightly tickles my interest.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    "everyone sit still and don't move, this is a hijack" J/K

Thanks Heath! I hope the flick does well... we'll see? I missed the premier, was in mexico on a surfing trip. followed by a ---->

But no, I don't use Alesis M1's. I was trying to make a funny. I used to use them way back and hated 'em. I've had Genelec 1032A's for about 2 years now, before that it was Event 20/20's, before that the M1's...

I must tell you, my mixes have grown leaps and bounds since I got the 1032A's. Best $4,500 I've spent in the studio yet.... aside from VSL

KID-
    Kid,

Can you be a bit more specific about the differences you found between the Event 20/20 (was it the powered model?) and the Genelecs?

Thanks.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Thanks again Heath!

But yeah, I hear you. I'd love to get a glimpse of this alternative universe. Good monitors fall under "hard to stomach the price, but so worth it".

When I looked to upgrade I considered Genelec, Adam, and Dynaudio. All are great monitors, no doubt. You really can't go wrong with any. I chose the Genelecs cuz they were the biggest and I liked how the top end sounded. Easy to work on...

Martin-

Yes it was in fact the powered model (20/20p's) I was using. The differences are/were: Instantly i noticed how much BIGGER the 1032's sounded. This is due to the 1032's having a 10" cone where the 20/20p's have a 6". In fact at first I though I might have gone TOO big. After two weeks I was right at home. You see, what I wanted was a speaker that was capable of producing that low end that I love to fool with. I was just guessing (w/no sub) on the 20/20p's. Now I feel like I have the full picture as to what's actually down there (and without using a sub -- I don't really want to use a sub). But also there's the clarity issue and frequency response. I was now hearing much more clearly what my verbs were doing, and all that little stuff way back there. As well, the frequency response was waaaaay different. I played some of my old mixes back through the Gens and was like "wow, what was I thinking there"? The mixes where all outta whack. I then realized what some of the problems I was having with the mixes were. There's some weird dip (i think) at around 2-3k on the 20/20's that isn't there on the Gens, that was causing me a huge problem.

Overall the Gens (and well better monitors) just sound "richer" (no pun intended ). The detail and clarity is readily apparent. This translates to better mixes. Honestly, in the last two years my mixes have gone from crap to pretty ok. I give credit to my monitors. I feel I can fully trust their representation of the music (in fact I rarely check my mixes elsewhere --other than cans--, I'm almost that confident in these monitors). I'm sure I'd feel the same with the other three monitors I mentioned too... can't go wrong with those three.

KID-

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    She reps the writer....

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/theclearing/

Catch it if you get a chance!

Thanks!

KID-
    Cool! Now you gotta get in with the music team and see if you can land a film deal with the inside contacts

Go Back to forum