• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

Share/Bookmark

Smile Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

Hi all, now I'm testing the GPO as much as possible so I'll hopefully master it someday. So I figured why not putting one of my piece made for full symphonic orchestra to the test.

Please look at it as a rough, because I have yet to do some fixing.

http://www.falcon-creations.com/mp3/...1a_final1a.mp3

Please let me hear what you think about all aspects of the piece, what can I improve and how (if you know how).

Btw. There's some "sucking", how can I eliminate that?

Looking forward to hear what comment this piece will get.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

The underlying music is fantastic, so I only have a couple of thoughts about the music, plus a couple thoughts about instrumentation and use of GPO.

Mostly the piece sounds very alive and realistic. The one part that really stood out to me as being fake was the first vocal part. I can think of two things that could help that: I don't know what library you're using, but if you have any way to make the line more legato, that would make it sound much more realistic (more legato would also help with some of the strings later that sound 'almost' legato; not quite connected but not with strong, seperated attacks, either). Otherwise, you might want to consider replacing the vocal part with a different instrument for the sake of realism. This problem is also pronounced later in the piece when you have the voices and piano highlighted.

One other thought is that the piece might benefit from more dynamic variation; you have some very nice climaxes and other very nice places where the piece quiets down, but in between the high and low points, the middle material could vary more.

Lastly, through a lot of the second half of the piece you have quick, short, violins, and I think they would sound better if they had a stronger attack (not necessarily more volume, just a stronger attack).

A couple things about the music:

I thought the ending was a little bit anticlimactic; you had many stronger spots earlier in the piece, and I feel that in a piece like this the strongest spot should be at the end. However, if this is the first movement of a longer work or is otherwise intended to be followed by more music, then it would work just fine.

The one other thing is that having more contrasting rhythyms would be great. I felt that in the second half of the piece when you had lots parts with, for example, strings and brass, playing rhythmically opposed parts, it worked very well. Either having more variation in rhythmic in other sections of the piece or adding more percussion to some of it would cover this.

I really like the piece, though, and would love to hear it again if you make a version that you consider as more than 'rough' as this is already very good. My comments are just suggestions for how I think you could make a good piece even better and it's great just the way it is.

Hi Falcon1,

I really enjoyed listening to your (first !) piece with GPO. You did a good job. In general I agree with the points Error mentioned already. The choir needs to have some work in order to sound more realistic.

What you can also improve is the timpani starting at around 5:53. It leads to the last climax, that´s ok and a common used stylistic device .... but try to vary some of the dynamics, it sounds like a machine gun.

At the end of my comment I have to say that your 3-dimensioal-sound is perfectly created. Very nice!

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Cool Re: Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

Wow, a lot of comments. Thanks guys!

Error, I find it very difficult to do a convincing vocal parts but I'm sure that it
    will come with practice. I'm did the vocals with VOTA, but I'm hoping that VOTA2 will have a legato feature like GPO has.
    I'm still kind of exploring the dynamic range of GPO so in next version there will
    be more dynamic variations in the middle material.
    I don't know if it needs more rhythmic variations because with the music I'm painting a picture of person who misses a loved one. For example, when the short da-daaaa motif appears (bass pizz, then timps) then the text says: "I want to life while my heart still beats."
    About the ending, I think I had some drop-outs there which I need to fix - that's the reason for too much emphasis on the 5th of the chord.
    Yea, maybe I could use the perc. more where the rhytmic "action" is calm.

Blackster, heheehe... yes I'll try to fix the timpani "gun" in the end. Oh, cool! I specially liked your last comment about 3d-sound, it means that I'm starting to be better at mixing my pieces.

Again, thanks guys for taking time to write comments!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

There's a lot of very nice ideas in this Falcon and a lot of them are carried out very well. I have to agree that the choir lets it down though but that's not your fault....the writing is there. Maybe Francis Belardino's forthcoming GPO choir will be the solution? Time will tell.

There is some quite brave and striking stuff in this piece...I love the organ at around the 4:55. I also was struck by the way you have created the violin arpeggios at around 5:15....Great dynamics throughout. I like the repeated violin notes from 5:45 onwards....great!

Generally very impressed.....you deserve credit for this. I haven't heard the GPO violins used like this in previous demos.

Frank

Cool Re: Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    There's a lot of very nice ideas in this Falcon and a lot of them are carried out very well. I have to agree that the choir lets it down though but that's not your fault....the writing is there. Maybe Francis Belardino's forthcoming GPO choir will be the solution? Time will tell.

There is some quite brave and striking stuff in this piece...I love the organ at around the 4:55. I also was struck by the way you have created the violin arpeggios at around 5:15....Great dynamics throughout. I like the repeated violin notes from 5:45 onwards....great!

Generally very impressed.....you deserve credit for this. I haven't heard the GPO violins used like this in previous demos.

Frank
    Thanks Frank (Hardy Heern) for the comments!

Yes, I hope that GPO choir or VOTA 2 will solve this problem for me. I'm maybe just composing too complex music for current vocal libs?

The "organ" at 4:55 is in fact Bassoon + Tbone + Double-Bass 8va lower playing FF. But this orchestration is influenced of course from the organ registrations because I'm an organist.

Again thanks for the comments!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

"The "organ" at 4:55 is in fact Bassoon + Tbone + Double-Bass 8va lower playing FF."

Oooops!!

Frank

Talking Re: Orchestral piece (First try with GPO)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    "The "organ" at 4:55 is in fact Bassoon + Tbone + Double-Bass 8va lower playing FF."

Oooops!!

Frank
    Hehehehe... no problem. It was kind of the effect I was going after so it is just fine that it worked on you.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hehehehe... no problem. It was kind of the effect I was going after so it is just fine that it worked on you.
    That DID sound like the organ! Great effect!

Jerry

Go Back to forum