• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Nicole's "Memories of Father(Symphonic Poem)

Share/Bookmark

Nicole's "Memories of Father(Symphonic Poem)

Soon after Nicole first came to this forum she posted an "excerpt" of something she was working on - a Symphonic Poem dedicated to the memory of her father.

Nicole's 'work in progress' received many accolades and the urging by members to continue. Nicole developed her excerpt and has produced this stunningly beautiful work.

I am pleased to post "Memories of Father" (Symphonic Poem) by Nicole Davis:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Memories...honicPoem).mp3

Thank Nicole for sharing a part of you.

Gary Garritan

Re: Nicole's "Memories of Father(Symphonic Poem)

Very beautiful Nicole, I'm sure your Dad would love it too.
    Dan

AHHHHHH!!!!!!! Nicole, AHH!!!

I had NO CLUE you were THIS good, I swear! If YOU'RE you call a hobbyist, then I must not be able to find Middle C on the piano! lol!

This work is probably one of the best GPO demos I have ever heard! Ever!

OK, I knew you were good, but I didn't know that you were capable of not only impressing me (and I'm tough to impress), but you blew me away with this composition! This is honestly one of the best demos that I have ever heard with not only GPO, but with a sample library period. You definitely should give yourself a pat on the back because let me tell ya right now, girl you know what you are doing!

One of my favorite things about this piece is that you were able to pull off the late romantic vibe without making it sound like you were just pulling it off because you didn't know how to write for today's orchestra. From the way you developed and fleshed out your ideas (something I always look for in a good composition), to the way you just masterfullly orchestrated the whole thing, to the way the form of the piece was very smooth and coherant, yet not boring and predictable just put a smile on my face and made me shake my head in awe!

The only downsides.....and I mean the ONLY downsides that I have heard from this piece would be that I'd change the violins to Sus+Short instead of the Lush set. I personally don't like the Lush set as much because they sound faker, duller, and less expressive. The pizzicato strings in the piece are a little bit harsh - I'd turn the velocity down just a bit on them.

This is NOT a downside, but something that I would have done was add a bit more modern percussion, like I would have replaced the cymbal 2:22 to a Tam-tam. Wow that would have been awesome! I also would have had a suspended cymbal accompany that great rise from 2:17 to 2:22! Yeah! lol, I just love percussion, it adds like this awesome shimmer to a piece, and damn your piece is already so good!

This is a great one, Nicole! I'm definitely saving this one!

Oh, and can you tell me what reverb you used on this? Because it certainly sounds good!

Nicole,
    Thank you for sharing this piece. It's incredibly beautiful, breathtaking, fragile and filled with emotion, I am truly touched... I just cannot think of enough words to describe it!
    Dennis

Nicole,
    Very beautiful...brings back memories....
    Styxx

Thumbs up Re: Nicole's "Memories of Father(Symphonic Poem)

One word: BRAVO!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

This is a great piece of music. Thank you for sharring your gift. Please let us know some details on this ,instruments ,reverb,etc

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Reeves

The only downsides.....and I mean the ONLY downsides that I have heard from this piece would be that I'd change the violins to Sus+Short instead of the Lush set. I personally don't like the Lush set as much because they sound faker, duller, and less expressive. The pizzicato strings in the piece are a little bit harsh - I'd turn the velocity down just a bit on them.

This is NOT a downside, but something that I would have done was add a bit more modern percussion, like I would have replaced the cymbal 2:22 to a Tam-tam. Wow that would have been awesome! I also would have had a suspended cymbal accompany that great rise from 2:17 to 2:22! Yeah! lol, I just love percussion, it adds like this awesome shimmer to a piece, and damn your piece is already so good!

This is a great one, Nicole! I'm definitely saving this one!

Oh, and can you tell me what reverb you used on this? Because it certainly sounds good!
    You know I forgot which strings I had loaded since I started this a long while ago now, thanks for pointing that out I knew there was something different about the sound because I have gotten used to the other set. With the pizz it was a fight because I would sometimes use headphones, sometimes speakers and it always seems either to loud or soft when I changed, so I gave up on the fight after a bit and just left it. Maybe for another day ill change it yet again and fix or change things. For now its as is
    The other thing I disliked having done was "normalize" because thats just not natural , but the insistance I always got here was to normalize things ,thus eliminating the "wisper quiet" parts. I think passages marked "P or lower" in the processed world=mp, mf or higher
    There are a few things I was considering adding, more percussion (but sparsely) harp and a few other things. But I dont know yet.
    The reverb is just the Sonar reverb, I messed around alot with it instead of using stock settings this time. Im still not convinced with SIR reverb yet(probably because I cant use it that well).
    I appreciate your kind words everyone. When I take time to work out something and not try to finish it in a day or two(like I usually do) the results often are much better and you sorta get a broader perspective of the entire piece. I picked away at this for a long time and have two other versions or rather alternatives for certain areas that I didnt choose "yet" lol. They still remain as scribbled notes.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It means alot to me.

Edit
    the instruments are(and not in order since I started with what begins the piece and never organized it into "score" order).

Solo Bb Clarinet
    Clarinet Ens 1
    Bass clarinet
    Solo Basoon 1
    Solo Basoon 2
    Solo Flute
    Flute ens 1
    solo Oboe classical
    Modern oboe ens 1
    Solo F Horn
    F horn ens 1
    F horn overlay F
    Solo Trumpet
    Trumpet Ens 1
    Trumpets Overlay
    Solo Trombone
    Trombone ens 1
    Trombone Overlay
    Bass Trombone 1
    Solo Tuba 1
    Lush Violins 1(strings are subject to change, but not atm, im giving this song a rest and go back to it at another time)
    Lush Violins 2
    Lush Violas
    Lush Cellos
    Lush basses
    Bass KS Pizz/trem
    Violins 1 Trem
    Violins 2 Trem
    Violas Trem
    Cellos Trem
    Timpani
    Cellos Pizz
    Solo Violin Strad
    Solo Violin Guarn
    Solo Cello
    Solo Viola

I think thats it, I might have missed something since I didnt open the file.
    Reverb is again just the Sonar reverb, but I messed with alot with the sliders until I found what I liked ,though im not sure what exactly some of the terms mean on effects .
    Nicole Davis

Smile Re: Nicole's "Memories of Father(Symphonic Poem)

Nicole,

Your piece is really beautiful. A great tribute to your father. The way you orchestrated and used GPO is very cohesive, as if it was one unique instrument and not a collection of instruments (I hope this is clear despite my poor english).

Bravo !
    Pierre
    Pierre Laroche

Simply wonderful. Bravo.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Go Back to forum