• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Mock-Up an Unheard Beethoven Work!

Share/Bookmark

Mock-Up an Unheard Beethoven Work!

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) is regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, composer ever to have lived. Many are familiar with his Moonlight Sonata, his Fifth Symphony and other remown masterpieces.

But did you know that there are many works of Beethoven that have not been published or recorded.

Attached is a unpublished and unrecorded Beethoven song based on Goethe's poem Erlkoenig, in an unpublished orchestration by Bela Bartok in 1904! Thanks to Mark Zimmer of http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/ who discovered and sent this gem.

Below are the Overture and MIDI files of this Unheard Beethoven song.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GPO_unfin_beethoven.ove
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GPO_unfin_beethoven.mid
    GPO Instrumentation in staff order: Flute (2 parts), Oboe (2 parts), Clarinet (2 parts), Bassoon(2 parts), French Horn (4 parts), Trumpet, Violins 1, Violas, Celli, Double Basses, Timpani, Solo Voice (English Horn), Pizzicato, Violin 2.

The files are very basic and need refinement. Feel free to expand the orchestration, separate out the divisi lines, layer solo strings on section strings, use the mod wheel to impart expression, and use legato mode and do whatever you think is necessary to make this work shine..

Your mission, should you choose to accept, involves the revival and mock-up of this unheard Beethoven treasure and save the musical world.

As always, should you or any of your GPO team fail to mock this up, the spirit of Beethoven will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in five seconds.

Good luck ,

Gary Garritan

Re: Mock-Up an Unheard Beethoven Work!

I was born on December 16 (Ludwig Van’s birthday as well). However, since my birth was some 195 years after LVB, I suppose that any claim I make as to being the actual composer of these works would fall to the ground. Instead, I have decided to copyright middle C, so anyone who uses it will have to pay me.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Gary, I don't know you very well,,,,,, but know I do LOL!

Hilarious, so is that the machine gun effect that you have been talking about in sampled sound reproduction?

Guys... I can't WAIT to hear what you all can do with this! Now go to it...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

OK! You got me there Garritan! I'll get you back at playtime!!

Seriously, I had my earphones on and the volume well up! It's not April the first is it?

Frank

(PS and I thought it was such a great idea too......should have known my Beethoven musical biography

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) is regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, composer ever to have lived. Many are familiar with his Moonlight Sonata, his Fifth Symphony and other remown masterpieces.

But did you know that there are many works of Beethoven that have not been published or recorded.

Attached is a unpublished and unrecorded Beethoven song based on Goethe's poem Erlkoenig, in an unpublished orchestration by Bela Bartok in 1904! Thanks to Mark Zimmer of http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/ who discovered and sent this gem.

Below are the Overture and MIDI files of this Unheard Beethoven song.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GPO_unfin_beethoven.ove
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/GPO_unfin_beethoven.mid
    GPO Instrumentation in staff order: Flute (2 parts), Oboe (2 parts), Clarinet (2 parts), Bassoon(2 parts), French Horn (4 parts), Trumpet, Violins 1, Violas, Celli, Double Basses, Timpani, Solo Voice (English Horn), Pizzicato, Violin 2.

The files are very basic and need refinement. Feel free to expand the orchestration, separate out the divisi lines, layer solo strings on section strings, use the mod wheel to impart expression, and use legato mode and do whatever you think is necessary to make this work shine..

Your mission, should you choose to accept, involves the revival and mock-up of this unheard Beethoven treasure and save the musical world.

As always, should you or any of your GPO team fail to mock this up, the spirit of Beethoven will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This message will self-destruct in five seconds.

Good luck ,

Gary Garritan
    Thanks for posting this, Gary. I'm very much looking forward to what can be done with this piece with GPO (and grilling the participants as to what exactly they did!) ). I made an initial stab at it but I'm just a beginner with both GPO and Overture so I'll be very interested in the nuances that can be brought to the piece. (though I must say that even my unskilled try with GPO sounded loads better than the midi version). I guess I would ask, though, that Bartok's orchestration NOT be altered---feel free to do everything else Gary said, but I'm particularly interested in what can be done with this while still keeping Bartok's orchestration intact.

Best,
    Mark Zimmer
    Project Director
    The Unheard Beethoven

Wish I could participate in this, but I'm busy getting into a serious work of my own!

Can't wait to hear what you all come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Thanks for posting this, Gary. I'm very much looking forward to what can be done with this piece with GPO (and grilling the participants as to what exactly they did!) ). I made an initial stab at it but I'm just a beginner with both GPO and Overture so I'll be very interested in the nuances that can be brought to the piece. (though I must say that even my unskilled try with GPO sounded loads better than the midi version). I guess I would ask, though, that Bartok's orchestration NOT be altered---feel free to do everything else Gary said, but I'm particularly interested in what can be done with this while still keeping Bartok's orchestration intact.

Best,
    Mark Zimmer
    Project Director
    The Unheard Beethoven
    Thanks for visiting with us Mark. I too am looking forward to hear what the GPO Maestros can do with this peice. I'm sure there will be nice surprises .

Gary Garritan

Yee Gods this is a toughy! Is anyone working with this besides me. I'm just trying to take the file and turn it into something nice with GPO. I haven't touched the composition itself. Lord, these controllers are killing me especially with all the divisi lines in this particular piece. My hand is cramped, I can't get it all to play at once because there's too many voices, it sounds like poo (my fault nothing to do with GPO), and I'm quitting for the night. So, has anyone else tried their hand at Beethoven's unheard work? I'd like to hear it, if so. At least it'll let me know that I'm not alone!

Yes, there's a lot of divisi work in there--Bartok was nothing if not ambitious in the scale of this thing. Gary, maybe you could also post my mp3 of my effort so people could get a general idea of it (better than the midi)?

Go Back to forum