• Register
  • Help

Topic: Legato / Slur for Finale OS X?

Smile Legato / Slur for Finale OS X?

Hi Everyone!
    I am new to the forum, I really enjoy reading all the great tips and listening to the wonderful music here!! It is kind of intimidating and yet inspiring all at once!
    I see that Adam Buford created a legato slur plug-in for Finale for Windows. I was wondering if anyone out there has figured out a similar thing for Finale 2004 (OS X).
    I finally learned how (thanks a million, Gary!) to route the midi outs in Finale 2004 to all 64 channels for the GPO studio. Then to my delight I saw the tutorial on creating mod wheel crescendos and decrescendos in Finale, and now if only someone out there could create a legato slur plug-in, that would make my dreams come true. Although I do have Cubase SX, I prefer the control of having Finale as my sequencer! I like having control over every small detail, and I find that tweaking things in software sequencers is difficult, at least more difficult than tweaking the score. I am relatively new to the Software sampler/sequencer stuff, though I have been a Finale user for 8 years now.

Any suggestions?

Jerry W.

NW Illinois

Re: Legato / Slur for Finale OS X?

I can't write plug-ins either. But in Finale you can create a text expression which will do the job. I create a separate score for playback. I made a text expression which is called "start slur". (I know, real creative) I give it a playback function on midi controller 64 (sustain) and give it a value of 127. I make another expression "end slur" with the sustain set to 0. If you assign these expressions to a meta-tool you can apply them fairly quickly to your score. In the Kontakt player, make sure you have the sustain pedal set to the 2nd choice, which give legato playback.

Thanks Jeff! I will try this. I tried it using the pedal markings in the articulation tool, but it never worked - even after trying to tweak it for playback. I never thought about doing it your way! Thanks again!

I really love this forum! I only regret I only discovered its existence this week! What a great resource and wellspring of knowledge and what appears to be genuine good will and support. I have bookmarked this and will be returning everyday.

Thanks again!!

Hey Jeff, I just wanted to thank you once again! it works like a charm.

I'm a Happy Camper

Go Back to forum