• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: BFD by fxpansion

Share/Bookmark

Question BFD by fxpansion

I was just reading a glowing review in one of the magazines of this drum library. I'm a sucker for good sounding drums, the more the better. Anyone using them? The lib I use most often is Purrrfect drums, and usually guage other libs by it...if that gives you an idea of what I like.

The patterns look nice, although as far as I can tell this library is not meant to offer extensive patterns...the samples seem to be the heart. Could be wrong.

I'd love to hear any comments, comparisons, opinions.. etc

Smile Re: BFD by fxpansion

I made a computer just for BFD with UAD Powered plugins & that sound very good very natural... can I say perfect drums (with the XXl expansion)?
    for the groove I use groove Agent (like a drummer) with the midi out to BFD
    (I made a drummap) & that's really cool !
    I don't know about DFH Superior but BFD do the job (with UAD)!
    it's only my personnal point of view.

Re: BFD by fxpansion

Quote Originally Posted by Home Studio 87
    I made a computer just for BFD with UAD Powered plugins & that sound very good very natural... can I say perfect drums (with the XXl expansion)?
    for the groove I use groove Agent (like a drummer) with the midi out to BFD
    (I made a drummap) & that's really cool !
    I don't know about DFH Superior but BFD do the job (with UAD)!
    it's only my personnal point of view.

I dont really like the Groove Agent grooves that much, I noticed that even band in a box, or jammer pro has a more natural feel for drum grooves, with slightly off timing elements.

What not use the Groove features of BFD? Surely it would be good no?

What other devices are there for this (creating locked drum grooves?), midi slicey or something or other is a little confusing and busy for me to grasp, (although I do know Logic, Pro-tools even Avid, Sibelius, Finale), so I should be able to grasp, but every time I look at it, I get lost. Too impatient I suppose.

Hi Sporter, I use BFD exclusivly for my drums now, it's awesome, just got the Expansion this week and it's even better, it's got new kits that sound better than the original and brush kits, simply outstanding imo.

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio

Thanks for all the replys. I have Groove Agent, but I find the samples to be lacking in quality. The patterns are great, but somehow no matter how many patterns you have, it's always hard to find that perfect groove, especially when you start adding fills and breaks.

Something like BFD which seems to have the edge on quality and variety of sounds looks good to me. I tend to like to use a pattern, but I want an easy way to edit. I also prefer patterns that are not so rock/pop oriented, as most commercial patterns seem to be these days.

Regarding Band in a Box and Jammer, I too find the patterns in these programs very good, and very versatile covering a lot of styles...

So...what would be a good solution to route BIB output to BFD in real time? BIB can load DXi's, but I couldn't find any info about DXi's on FX' s website. As I understand it, BFD is a vsti. I see it works with midi files, which is cool, but having it as a DXi within BIB would be even cooler!

Thanks

I love BFD, but it's a bit of a killer in terms of RAM/CPU - and I have a G5 Dual 2Ghz! It's fine on its own, but when you combine it with a full score... ouch! Great sound, though, and it's really amazing to be able to change (and automate!) the mic placement in real-time!

Groove Agent for me is another kind of beast. I go to it when I need to have a period-specific drum pattern/loop. It's great for that 50 or 60 or 70's sound. Also, it does have some cool fill patterns. The biggest drawback for me is that it has never, never been updated in any way.

I did a review of both for K-v-R:

BFD

Groove Agent

BFD sounds great and is more versatile than DKFH (i only own DKFH1)
    The midi groove are cool but as Sharmy mentioned are limited in terms of genres and numbers. One request: please give us some hihat midi grooves without the rest of the kit.
    A few thing I am missing: it is imposible to pick a rim shot from a different snare to go with the regular snare sound. You pick a snare, you are stuck with its corresponding rim. Same goes with the hihat you pick a hihat, you are stuck with the open, pedal and close samples of that specific hihat.
    I know it makes sense but we are artists so what makes sense is not always good. I want to be able to pick whatever sound I chose, from whatever kit there is to chose from.
    Also the midi files are 1 bar long: not long enough, please give us 2 bar phrases. And it is impossible to drag and drop them into your sequencer of choice. Granted, you can build longer phrases by selecting in a sequence a bunch of 1 bar phrases but once you have a drum part you are happy with, that constructed track doesn't export as a midi file
    The only way to go around that problem is to import each of the 1 bar phrases separetely and assemble them within your sequencer
    So you are stuck inside of the BFD interface for your drum parts rather than being able to import all that good stuff in your sequencer and edit the whole from there.
    Don't get me wrong, I love BFD. The interface is GREAT.
    Let's hope than future updates will improve on the concept and give us a killer drum module. Product developement will be crucial if BFD is to stay a player in the drum library market (unlike the Groove Agent fiasco, thank you very much Steinberg )
    ANd there is also Stylus DMX coming up soon...

Not sure if I agree about the BFD sounding better than DFH. If you listen to the high-hats, (this is what makes or breaks it for me), the DFH sound more realistic, especially for rock.

So far, from what I've heard (demo wise) between the two, BFD, so far, sounds more like Groove Agent. On the other hand, it seems that DFH has problems and no midi files.

I am presently trying to see which is better for creating drum patterns, (BIAB or Jammer), I thought once I read that Jammer has a more realistic vibe.

There really needs to be something to help out with creating grooves.

Funny you mention hihats: it's my least favorite element of DKFH.
    I can never find a good hihat in DKFH, especially when looking for something with a wide dynamic range (I own DKFH1 only). Just not subtle enough for my taste...

PC.

your "Decca" link is not working..give a look..

regards

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Go Back to forum