• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: One drive, multiple computers?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation One drive, multiple computers?

I've been meaning to ask this question - Is it possible for multiple gigamachines to have access to every sound in ones collection? One of my pet peeves is that I have certain libraries on one machine, and certain libraries on the other. Whenever I run outta memory on one machine 1 (with machine 2 only at say 39%), there are still sounds on machine 1 that I still want to use. Is there some way that both machines can have equal access to an entire collection of sounds without having to manually send them back and forth in Network Neighboorhood?

Smile Re: One drive, multiple computers?

If I remember... Giga can load sounds from LAN connected computers or servers...
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Smile Re: One drive, multiple computers?

Yea? How?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: One drive, multiple computers?

I'd buy more hard drives. There are some great sales going on right now. QuickSound will search any locally mapped network drive you tell it to catalog, but this is really more about Distributed Wave access for foley/design work than instrument streaming. Even Gigabit Ethernet is not going to do the job--too much overhead in packeting the data, etc. It's one thing to open up a stream, and keep it moving. It's another thing entirely to open up a stream every time you hit a key, and keep ALL that moving.

Well that'd be a lot of bloody harddrives don't you think? I mean, if you wanted all your computers to be able to use every sound in VSL Pro, that means you'd have to have 250+ gigs (wild guess) of harddrive space for each computer let alone the other libs one owns. :-p

There must be some sort of system that the big guys conjure to remedy of this problem.

I have 750 GB of space in each Giga system. It's not that many hard drives...and they're cheap.

You're too spoiled, kiddo. Try pricing 2" tape for all your projects. Hard drives are nothing...they ARE the cheapest way to handle the problem, and probably the only way to solve it strictly in terms of the streaming-sampler requirements. Seek times across the network would be through the roof, streaming notwithstanding.

I'm not exactly making all kinds of dough there Mr. Richardson. But now that I've heard someone has actually bought 750 gigs of drive space for each computer, it gives me hope.

You have any harddrive recommendations? Currently all of mine are WD, but to buy 750 gigs of that for each PC would rid me of a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I have 750 GB of space in each Giga system.

Are you using FireWire for any part of that?

I know, man, just giving you a little grief. I'm actually in the poorhouse until August, myself. I've been doing low budget all year. And I have plenty of expenses right now--broken ankle, tail end of a nasty legal/political battle, you name it.

Seriously, I don't think there are any external options that can solve the problem. I use whatever large, big-cache 7200 ATA is hot at a given moment (or on sale). Bid one or two into every project if you can. It's legit; you're billing the necessary redundancy and overhead for doing a professional job. You always want the work existing on two drives. In two machines if you're going to be fastidious. The ideal situation is to keep drives rotating out of machines at mid-life, so you can then use them as backup (but the two separate drive rule still holds).

Quote Originally Posted by seanmccoy
    Are you using FireWire for any part of that?
    No. I put as many removable drive drawers in a machine as it will hold, and configure the removable ones as slaves on a given channel.

Go Back to forum