• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual memory

Share/Bookmark

Virtual memory

Just wondered if someone can suggest the best setting for virtual memory, when using 2 gigs of ram in Gigastudio, as I have read conflicting reports.
    Tascam optimization guide recommends 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ram up to 512MB, entering the same value in minimum and maximum fields. Others (eg Adobe Audition)recommend 1.5 times the amount of ram, with no upper limit.
    So following Tascam, (for 2 gigs of ram) I enter 512 (maximum)
    Following Adobe Audition , I enter 3 gigs (1.5 x 2GB)

Any suggestions please?

my system...
    P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/mirror)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    Sonar v3 PE
    Adobe Audition 1.5
    GS3 (soon!)

Re: Virtual memory

Any clues anyone please??

I wish I could be more help, but I can only tell the settings I use. In any system that has 2GB or more of RAM I use 4095MB of virtual memory. Also, always set the minimum and maximum to the same value. That is a standardized performance practice in my personal experience. Some clues to keep in mind are watching your system performance as you use your system. If your Virtual Memory settings are too low it should have an obvious adverse effect on your system performance when your projects start to get huge.

Sincerely,
    Per Lichtman
    VP
    Beyond Belief Music Inc.

Thanks Per
    So that means that Tascam's advice of a maximum of 512 MB is wrong? I will post the same question on the sample library forum where we might get more opinions..

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    Just wondered if someone can suggest the best setting for virtual memory, when using 2 gigs of ram in Gigastudio, as I have read conflicting reports.
    Tascam optimization guide recommends 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ram up to 512MB, entering the same value in minimum and maximum fields. Others (eg Adobe Audition)recommend 1.5 times the amount of ram, with no upper limit.
    So following Tascam, (for 2 gigs of ram) I enter 512 (maximum)
    Following Adobe Audition , I enter 3 gigs (1.5 x 2GB)

Any suggestions please?

my system...
    P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/mirror)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    Sonar v3 PE
    Adobe Audition 1.5
    GS3 (soon!)
    With 2gb of ram you can turn VM off. You'll get much better performance without it.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

A word of caution: Even with 2GB of memory some systems will not function properly with virtual memory disabled. Programs started freezing on me in undemanding situations when I tried to disable it on my system last time.

Sincerely,
    Per Lichtman
    VP
    Beyond Belief Music Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Lichtman
    A word of caution: Even with 2GB of memory some systems will not function properly with virtual memory disabled. Programs started freezing on me in undemanding situations when I tried to disable it on my system last time.

Sincerely,
    Per Lichtman
    VP
    Beyond Belief Music Inc.
    That's interesting you've had that experience. I have VM turned off on two of my machines; one with 1.5gb and the other has only 1gb of ram. They've been running this way for around 2 years.

I've never had any issues at all. I know some older programs and games demand some VM no matter how much ram you have, but I really havent had a problem.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    That's interesting you've had that experience. I have VM turned off on two of my machines; one with 1.5gb and the other has only 1gb of ram. They've been running this way for around 2 years.
    i'd like to second that - ok, i don't have a machine with less than 1 GB RAM - maybe a good number would be to set the totally available memory (virtual incl. physical) to 2 GB if you encounter problems with RAM-hungry apps which rely on virtual memory. i've even set the pagefile to 2MB on W2K (that's the minimum allowed with this OS) and in any case the machine performed significantly better
    christian

In my case the system was using 4GB of RAM under Windows XP Pro and when I disabled VM I couldn't even use Sonar 3 Producer Edition and EWQLSO Gold if I remember correctly. I remember being frustrated since I had specifically been instructed to do so...

Go Back to forum