Just checking in with a new GPO arrangement of Hiro Miyauchi's "Magical Sound Shower" - from the Sega Outrun classic aracade game. I always loved the piece (played the arcade just to hear it), so was interested to hear what a GPO/latin pop version would be like! Lots of fun to do, that's what! :-)
That's a great job....I really enjoyed hearing GPO used in this way (I think you're first with a Latin piece)....it sounds so bright and sparkling! I agree totally with Karl's comments.....fantastic arranging.....mind you with the amount of stuff on your website it looks as if you've had just a little practice!
It's hard to believe that this is all done on GPO!
Hi Frank & Karl, thanks both for the great feedback, very encouraging it is too!
BTW it's not all GPO... The drum kit is from Drum Series 1 (Sonic Implants) and the latin stuff is Afro-Cuban Percussion, also from S.I. Man they should give me a discount. :-) The orcehstral percussion is from somewhere else whose name escapes me and it's too late at night to bring the sequence up again!!
The whole shooting match is run off 2 PC's and one Roland A90EX. One PC is for Giga and one GPO as VST 6-odd VST instruments. Both PC's have Echo Mia's in for their output. The second PC drives the first PC over the network using MIDI-Over-LAN. This all runs via an increasingly unfathomable mass of analogue cables into a Yamaha GF12/12 mixer.
When the mix is sounding done, I take the TAPE OUT (analogue) from the mixer into a Sony DAT and get a DAT pre-production recording at 48 KHz. I might have to do two or three takes to get an acceptable recording if the PC's are glitching under heavy load (like they were for Magical Sound Shower).
Once that's done I play the DAT master back into one of the PCs over the digital cable.
In Wavelab I'll normalize the recording to use all the headroom, chop the gap at the start and tidy the end up, adding a fade if necessary. The poppy tracks also get a Spectralizer to add some bright top-end overtones, and a fairly mild compressor too.
The master 48KHz/24-bit is saved out, and I also write a 44KHz/16-bit file. This latter file gets converted into a 192-kbit/sec MP3 for the website using Lame-Encoder. The former is played back to DAT, digitally this time, as an archive copy.
That's about it. Pretty serious just for a hobby huh? I also used to do noise reduction but since I started doing masters on DAT it hasn't been necessary. Just watch the gains on the desk and it tends to be okay!
I love using the GPO in a pop context. It's a very versatile tool, for sure. I haven't found a patch set yet that it didn't sit really well in. No I'm not being paid by Gary :-)
Yeah, arranging-wise I've been around the block a bit. I started with C-Lab Notator at school in, uh, must have been 80's sometime, then Cubase on the Atari, then Cakewalk on the PC and now Cubase on the PC again. I used to do TV themes and in fact there are still a couple on the web page. Then I did A-Level music and a lot of analysis too, which helped greatly. Practice makes perfect :-)
your hard work shows.
it's great to hear about the nuts and bolts of a track.
we all have our different methods, but i think you can always learn something from seeing the other person's approach.
This was fun to listen to. Makes me want to party.
You did a remarkable job on the arrangement. The production value is excellent. Thanks for letting us know how you developed this. Some of the latin percussion in the upcoming jazz/big band pack will be perfect for this.
If we can get permission from Hiro Miyauchi this will be featured on the GPO demo page.
Thank you for posting this. I'll be playing this many times throughout the day.