• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vocal Planet Artists in amazing film

Share/Bookmark

Vocal Planet Artists in amazing film

A little off topic, but I'd like to recommend a wonderful film to you all if you haven't seen it yet......certainly would be of interest to any Spectrasonics fans.

It's called Genghis Blues, and it's a really inspiring and fascinating true story. This Oscar nominated documentary that's available now on DVD.

Here's the link to the DVD on Amazon, with some more info and reviews about this remarkable film:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...975379-1318337

Featured in the film are the artists Huun-Huur-Tu, who are the Tuvan Throat Singers we recorded for our Vocal Planet library.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/artists/htu.html

Don't miss it....great music and a powerful story. Gives you a little of the goosebumps that we felt when we had the rare priviledge of sampling these amazing performers.

All the best,

spectrum

Re: Vocal Planet Artists in amazing film

It's a great documentary, and an amazing performer - Paul Pena (Big Old jet Airliner), a blind blues singer who teaches himself to sing Tuvan throat-style, just from listening to Russian short-wave radio (I used to have a short wave, and EVERYBODY sounded like they were speaking like that - wouldn't it have been an absolute shock to discover you'd trained yourself to sing Tuvan style, only to find out it was just radio sideband harmonics!!! )

I also highly recommend it - I'm glad it's finally out on DVD, our locals only had it in VHS... Eric, those singers are absolutely marvelous, I didn't realize these were your artists -I really have to get that lib.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Glad you loved the film as much as i did :-)

Yep...our VP samples are the real guys and the only multisamples of Tuvan Throat Singing anywhere.

Of course, that's only a fraction of the material that's on Vocal Planet. It was by far the most intense and insane project we've ever done!

Thumbs up Re: Vocal Planet Artists in amazing film

Cool! I've just added the DVD to my queue at Netflix (here's the link: http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?...vieid=60000497 ).

So far has received 3.9 stars (out of 5) on Netflix with 11,862 votes.

Looking forward to it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Eric,

Man that is SO WEIRD...

I just watched Ghengis Blues this weekend, and I immediately wondered if these were some of the people you'd hooked up with for Vocal Planet.

My wife and I have both been thinking about Paul Pena the past several days.

Bruce

Smile Re: Vocal Planet Artists in amazing film

WHOA!!

Wow Bruce, what are the odds of that one? It's not a new film and its really an obscure one too! We were probably watching it at the same time!

Harmonic Convergence....

:-)

spectrum

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I broke my ankle a couple of weeks ago and have been laid up. A really good friend has been bugging me about seeing it, and when he heard I was flat on my back, he brought it by.

I believe in that convergence thing, for sure!!

Yeah it's a great film. I got this dvd free over 2 years ago at the Full Frame Documentary Festival. You can get it at Netflix too.

Eric,

I bought the video some time ago, and really enjoyed it. It's a great story.

Huun Huur Tu is playing a concert in Tampa on the 23rd of this month, and I'm definitely going. Can't wait!

We are trying to get them to do a workshop as well while they are here.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Harmonic Convergence....
    Local band, during that New Agean period - the Harmonica Virgins...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum