• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rolands L-CDX-Series

Share/Bookmark

Rolands L-CDX-Series

What do you people think about the L-CDX-03 (Brass & Woodwinds) and L-CDX-04 (Strings & Perc)? How are the strings compared with the Advanced Orchestras? Better sounding or better programmed? I've got a demo-CD with some samples (though only one string sample) from the L-CDX-libs and I think they sounds great, plus the actual size of the patches is smaller than for instance the AO (L-CDX Violin Patch: Arco Vln 3MB).

Since I'm going to wait for a while before I am going over to use Giga (I want to learn more about my current gear), the size of these samples suites me just fine taken into account that I have some memory issues with the XV-5080 in which I use the samples.

I searched this forum and found only positive opinions about the Roland Strings, which is very wierd since about 90% (or more?) of the people here uses Giga exclusively. My goal is not to sound like a real symohony orchestra (though I wish I could), but to make music with much expression and feeling, making it sound "almost" real. Would the L-CDX-03/04 be good choice since I'm still going to use my old gear?

Re: Rolands L-CDX-Series

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar

I searched this forum and found only positive opinions about the Roland Strings, which is very wierd since about 90% (or more?) of the people here uses Giga exclusively. My goal is not to sound like a real symohony orchestra (though I wish I could), but to make music with much expression and feeling, making it sound "almost" real. Would the L-CDX-03/04 be good choice since I'm still going to use my old gear?

well if NOT being real is ok you should be fine. i am using NON orchesta roland sounds with my roland xv5080 -runs great. i think you can get them very cheap at LA west. also did you consider
    either ewsilver or gpo? these are inexpensive quality orchestral solutions.

The Roland L-CDX libraries have held up well in my opinion.

They certainly pale in comparison to today's mammoth libraries, but they still sound good, and are very musical in nature.

You'd be hard pressed to beat them for size/sound quality, and the fact that they're native to your XV-5080 insures complete compatibility with the programming.

I'd say in your current situation, it's an excellent choice.

Thank you for your blessing Jaimo! The L-CDX is not in XV-5080 native format but rather the old s7xx series. However, the XV-5080 sampleplayback facilities are based upon the architecture of his ancestors, so I would not have to do any editing or mapping (which I hate ). The XV-5080 is of course superior to the S-760-samplers so if I for once should feel like dig into the complex architecture of my synth, I suppose I should be able to improve some of the sounds in the L-CDX, but first I would have to buy them... Since these sounds were made exclusively for Roland samplers by Roland, the sounds should be perfectly optimized for the architecture of the S700 samplers (as well as the XV-5080), thus taking full advantage of the samplers facillities.

And about the L-CDX-series: I am from Europe and these sample-cds are still rather expensive like most other sample-cds in Europe contra US. I found them for sale on an internet-shop for about (almost) one third of the European price, but typically, they do not send outside the US.

I picked up the Strings & Percussion L-CDX cds at Mars a few months before it went out of business for about $49. It was a great deal for the money, but I find myself rarely even using it. I also decided not to put it on my new sample hard drive because I hardly ever use it. Once you translate it over to GIGA format, it seems very cluttered and unorganized. However, the next least expensive string library is around $200. The percussion is probably the highlight of the cd for orchestral. But, if you are doing some pop/hip-hop string lines and don't care about the most life-like orchestra, then it will work.

So you are saying that I am better off with "Advanced Orchestra" (which I have allready got)?

I compose filmscore/videogame-like music, not pop or hip-hop; just wanted to clear that out. I hate all popular music!

Thanks Sharmy! That's just what I wanted to hear. Now I might consider buying the old Roland library (I probably will). As a matter of fact, there are none marcato-strings in the AO library, only short detache/up-and-down bowing strings. The staccato/marcato-strings are in the "Upgrade '97" and it only comes in akai or eos format which means loads of work for me if I was to convert them into Roland; that is never going to happen!

I found a web-shop that sold the L-CDX-libraries and also sends their products to Europe. However, the price is 250 USD as opposed to 69.99 USD in the US-web shops and the webshop claimes that they are the cheapest on the internet and if any products should be offered at a lower price someplace else, they would reduce their own prices. Well, I informed them and the price is now, 250 USD... In onther words it is just a big lie!

If I was to buy both the L-CDX-03 and 04 now at their current prices I would infact pay more for the two (very old) L-CDX-libraries (4 CDs) than I paied for the entire AO (5 CDs).

If you are going to spend that much, I would HIGHLY recommend GPO/EWQLSO Silver. To me, they are leaps and bounds better than the Roland sounds. However, many composers still use the Roland sounds. Some movies still have those sounds, so either way it will be a good choice. I own GPO as well and feel it was worth every penny and then some. The highlight of it is that it is very quick and intuitive to start writing scores with.

Just curious, since you mention GPO and EWQL Silver, is it correct that I don't need a softsampler to use them? I mean, do the required software come with the libraries when you buy them? Also, would I need a vst-compatible sequencer?

I've only got 512MB RAM on my computer which is max (it's old) so I would probably have to upgrade some of its hardware. My soundcard is a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. Do you think it will be sufficient for either GPO or EWQL?

I agree with Sharmy. You have to weigh the lesser of two evils. If it is going to cost you as much as you are saying for the lcdx series ( i was assuming you were using GIGAstudio for it, but I may be wrong), then I would consider the other libs. They do not require a sampler. You don't even need to wory about vsti, really. For example, GPO has an app that allows you to route the midi to it, much like routing to a 5080 or something. You can then bounce it all down to wave inside the app. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other, because you will get good mileage out of the lcdx - my opinion is you will get more mileage for the money out of GPO (or EWQLSO Silver) if your computer will support it. It seems the most difficult part of this decision is weighing where your computer stands and where it should be. If you can be a little more detailed in your plan for us, we can definitely point you in the right direction. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you to spend more money than you want because you need to be happy with what you have (or get). If you have other questions, ask away - I will be glad to help out, as I am sure Sharmy will as well.

Go Back to forum