• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Kontakt or Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt or Giga?

Okay, I've been meaning to ask this as well--

What benefits do I get from using Kontakt rather than Gigastudio (vice versa). It seems a lot are shifting to Kontakt, but I can't understand why. I have Kontakt myself, but it seemed a bit of a pain to work with - so I shelved it. Can Kontakt load more Giga Instruments? Do Giga Instruments import into Kontakt accurately? I find little bugs in Gigastudio annoying but tolerable - but things like the 1 gig of ram ceiling gets real annoying.

Thanks again for the help.

Re: Kontakt or Giga?

Here's my unscientific opinions regarding the the currently shipping versions. (not G3):

Kontakt can do everything Giga can do, plus much more. Feature for feature, it blows Giga away. VST and standalone, extensive editing, 24 bit samples, ability to load and play more samples are all advantages to Kontakt.

Even though Kontakt can blow Giga away, there are fewer libraries available. The Giga import is limited, and third party translators have limitations as well. It's still best to work with native Libraries, I've found, and there are many, many more of these available for Giga.

I agree Kontakt is a pain to work with. I end up using Giga 90% of the time because I like it's simple but comprehensive layout. It just "feels" better to me. Kontact is a strain on my eyes, so I tend to underutilize it.

I'm told Giga has a more effecient streaming engine. I haven't found it to be relevant.

Much of this will change with Giga 3.0

Halion is become my soft sampler of choice these days

Smile Re: Kontakt or Giga?

J ust the fact that Kontakt is VST AND standalone is an advantage. In my system, its tighter and offline rendering is must since deadlines and time are an issue on TV gigs. Also Aaron, when u get into the nittygritty of Kontakt, the routing of FX (and the quality) are much more interesing and time and tone and beatmachine make for some interesing experimenting and sound morphing. If u jsut want to do some meat and potatos tiriggering of Orchestral samples in giga format, then stick with GS. But also, from a customer standpoint.: NI is constantly working to improve Kontakt and all there major software, Wereas (according to history) GS MAY progresses in leaps and bounds but much more slowly and have no customer support (not even forum?!?!?). When i bought Kontakt 2 years ago, it cost me half as much as GS and ive gotten twice as much out of it...Rich
    P.S always use the latest update and DFD...

I can only speak from limited experience but here's my 2 cents. I bought Giga 32 a year ago to see if it would work for me. It created so much havoc with my computer that I finally had to uninstall it. Some people on this forum told me to stick with it and that my computer was not set up properly. Funny thing was Halion, Cubase, Xphrase, Atmosphere, etc all functioned beautifully. So Giga seemed to be the problem child. It's now collecting dust on my shelf while Halion 2.0 is working beautifully on my system.

Add in the fact that Tascam has left it's users out in the cold for a very long time, while the competition has been surpassing them, the picture becomes pretty clear.

The unfortunate thing is that the giga file format seems to be a standard and many libraries are created for it. Many people debate on this forum whether to buy Opus1 or EWQL Gold. Although they are close in prce, many people forget to factor in the price of Gigastudio which Opus 1 requires. EWQL Gold plays beautifully right out of the box.

With Tascam's track record, and the fine (real) alternatives (Halion, Kontakt, etc), I would be hard pressed to buy into the promise of Gigastudio 3.

Just my 2 cents,

Darren

If Tascam can ever release it, and if you're comfortable with Giga & PCs, wait for GS3. The convolution verb sounds promising and the interface looks really great in my opinion.

My own move to Kontakt is a little more complex. Apple Macs cannot use GigaStudio directly, so we had to look to alternatives for direct from disk streaming technology. HALion then came out, then Kontakt and EXS24MkII followed. I personally like the way that Kontakt creator Native Instruments went the route of multiplatforming (Mac & Windows) so an entire community of Mac users could cease being disenfranchised by the Windows-only club based on Nemesys' policy regarding GigaStudio. With Kontakt we now had something to level the playing field.

Kontakt's 24-bit sample handling is one reason (however that's being handled in the new version of Giga -GS3). EWQLSO is another - it won't work with Giga. I've ceased dreaming that one day I can use one brand of soft sampler for every sample library I have. Therefore (however unfair - hey, who said life was fair?) the sampler decisions made at the executive level of sample library developer companies essentially informs me that if there is a desirable library available I'll have to get it in the sampler format specified irregardless of whether I actually have that format or not.

Actually I'm faced with that decision right now. I really really want to get the QL Voices of the Apocalypse. Problem: the voice utility is PC only, and the format is Giga - also PC. Okay. I have a VisionDAW PC ported to the Mac sequencer (Logic) but its dedicated to Kontakt/VStack right now. That means if I want to get into VotA I'll need yet another PC, a license for Giga, and that's before getting Voices.

Again, no one ever said life was fair. Good luck Aaron - btw I really like your midi mockups and comps!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I've never "shelved" Kontakt, and I use it for situations where its strengths are needed. But for me, Giga all the way for the go-to. I prefer having the sampler on a totally separate machine than the DAW app, for purposes of work flow and redundancy. And with Giga3 literally around the corner, there are no reasons for a switch if you already like working with Giga.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    Actually I'm faced with that decision right now. I really really want to get the QL Voices of the Apocalypse. Problem: the voice utility is PC only, and the format is Giga - also PC. Okay. I have a VisionDAW PC ported to the Mac sequencer (Logic) but its dedicated to Kontakt/VStack right now. That means if I want to get into VotA I'll need yet another PC, a license for Giga, and that's before getting Voices.

Again, no one ever said life was fair. Good luck Aaron - btw I really like your midi mockups and comps!
    Hey Fred, Actually ,u can run VOTA in Kontakt and GS (i do both).The Kontakt conversion is pretty solid now,theres only a couple patchs that u have to tweek. The voice utility is another story but my guess is that next year with Vota 2 the utility will be built right into interface (GS3 or a new Kompakt). Let us pray together..Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Hey Fred, Actually ,u can run VOTA in Kontakt and GS (i do both).The Kontakt conversion is pretty solid now,theres only a couple patchs that u have to tweek. The voice utility is another story but my guess is that next year with Vota 2 the utility will be built right into interface (GS3 or a new Kompakt). Let us pray together..Rich
    Thanks Rich for the heads up. The voice utility I take it will only work with Giga and not with Kontakt...?

I like Giga Better,

but there are things you can do in Kontakt that you CANNOT do in Giga, not even with 3 (someone prove me wrong and I'll be happy, but you cant do Beat slicing or realtime time stretch/compress without the use of third party VST plug ins, and I havent tested 3, so even the concept of using 3rd party plugs to do this in realtime is a bit sketchy.)

Saying there's no reason to switch is kinda misleading.

Still *I* wouldnt "switch" . I'd use both. Dont think of them as competing products. Just tools in your arsenal.

Yes I know, some of you will complain about performance issues trying to run both on the same computer, so you want to CHOOSE one to get better performance...whatever... Sacrifices have to be made if you dont have $$$

Now if you're deciding whether to go with Giga3 upgrade or Kontakt.... thats a different story. I'd stick with Giga if you are working with Giga, but STILL get Kontakt when you can.

And lastly, if YOU ARENT GOING TO DIG INTO EDITING YOURSELF, dont bother choosing based on features. Choose based on the libraries you want, and features within the libraries you want. Its worthless to discuss sampler features and what not, if you arent going to take advantage of them yourself. Also just because the features are there, it doesnt mean developers will take advantage of them.

So like I said, since *I* wouldnt choose, its because I'd dig in and get some good eats. If you arent going to, then dont fix what aint broke.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick
    Thanks Rich for the heads up. The voice utility I take it will only work with Giga and not with Kontakt...?
    No, the voice utility works with Kontakt , but if your using a Mac and the voice utility is PC only...its easier to set up in GS as well as its well documented etc. Good points KI about using both strengths etc...Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast