• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual memory setting for 2GB ram

Share/Bookmark

Virtual memory setting for 2GB ram

Just wondered if someone can suggest the best setting for virtual memory, when using 2 gigs of ram in Gigastudio, as I have read conflicting reports.
    Tascam optimization guide recommends 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ram up to 512MB, entering the same value in minimum and maximum fields. Others (eg Adobe Audition)recommend 1.5 times the amount of ram, with no maximum.
    What is the recommended virtual memory setting when using 2 GB ram?

Re: Virtual memory setting for 2GB ram

For Giga? I have VM turned off.

That's what I was told to do.

Also, you should definitely read this thread:

http://vsl.co.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=934

I have 1.5GB Ram and Virtual Memory turned off. Works good here.

Same here. My RAM meter in giga doesn't get any higher than 92%....so there's always some memory left.

Well it seems Tascam need to update their Windows Optimization guide, where they specify virtual memory should be 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ram with a maximum of 512.
    Thanks guys for your input :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    Well it seems Tascam need to update their Windows Optimization guide, where they specify virtual memory should be 1.5 to 2 times the amount of ram with a maximum of 512.
    Thanks guys for your input :-)
    Hi Mal, I answered your question in the Hardware forum, but your right - that old advice made sense when people had 32 or 64 meg of ram!! Having a 2, 3, or 4gb swapfile is just ridiculous.

Sometimes we forget in our industry that we are running highly spec'd machines compared to many. I have friends in I.T. that are aghast that I run machines with + 1gb of ram, gigbit networks etc. They think Im just trying to show off. (Maybe I am little!)
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Did I post this before? Michael Kamen went to Juilliard. He was obviously saying that just for effect, because he was highly trained!

Go Back to forum