• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Song - The Forlorn Mind

Share/Bookmark

New Song - The Forlorn Mind

Hey guys, I thought I'd post my new composition here and get your opinions. Basically, what do you picture in your head, if anything, when you hear this? I composed this and I can't even conjure up any images in my head when I hear it, which (I think) is kinda' bizarre. I used the Vienna Strings/Woods and some free soundfonts here and there.

Because Angelfire sucks and won't allow direct linking anymore, you'll have to go to my page (http://www.nigel.has.it) and go to "The Forlorn Mind" link.

Thanks!

Wink Re: New Song - The Forlorn Mind

Hi greatzed,

I listened to your composition and I like it very much. Well done. You are asking which picture would we associate with this piece. Well, I imagine a lonely wanderer going his way over fields, mountains and little pathes. He is on his own, his view raises up towards the darkblue horizon. He closes his eyes and feels the wind playing with his hair. Then he continues on walking his way purposefully. But what is his assignment? We´ll never discover.

I like this fantasy stuff. You maybe realized it, hehe!

Greeting,

Blackster
    "Time is the best teacher. But unfortunately she kills all her students ..." - Terry Pratchett

www.genloc.net

Re: New Song - The Forlorn Mind

Cool. Thank you very much, Blackster! I always love seeing what other people view in their head when they hear my songs.

Pretty good Nigel!
    It sounded a little bit on the synthy side though. The harp for example didn't sound that real, and the strings too. The composition was fairly nice though. I think you could use a better reverb. That might help a lot with the realism. I guess it's a matter of taste though. Some people like just a general reverb rather than a reverb that sounds like a room.

Check out some of my music if you have the time. I'd like some feedback too.
    Anthony Lombardi, composer
    www.anthonylombardi.com

Thumbs up Re: New Song - The Forlorn Mind

I liked it very much as well <thumbs up>
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Thanks guys! Tony, I have to disagree that the strings and reverb sound fake, but I absolutely agree that the harp does sound fake at times. I used a soundfont for the harp, though, so that's why. I would have gone with more instruments, but what I had filled my ram up pretty fast.

I'll check out your music!

Nice work greatzed! Man, those VSL woods sound great. Which set do you use?

Oh, I just used the basic first ed. woods, no performance.

To be honest I found it to be to repetitive with little modulation. Doesn't mean it is good or bad, that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by greatzed
    Hey guys, I thought I'd post my new composition here and get your opinions. Basically, what do you picture in your head, if anything, when you hear this? I composed this and I can't even conjure up any images in my head when I hear it, which (I think) is kinda' bizarre.
    Thanks!
    It reminds me of deer running through a wood.

Its the sort of sound that would work well in something like the old TV series 'Robin Hood' or films like The Remains of the Day or any later Merchant/Ivory film. So, you didn't have a picture in your owm mind? That is bizarre! In this instance, I don't think modulation is much of an issue actually.

Just one question. When you recorded the strings, did you play each individual part, or did you pick a patch and play chords on the keyboard?

Very nice sound and I like the piece. I don't care about the recording issues and reverb in this case, re: your original question. Good stuff.

Go Back to forum