• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Film project details / files

Share/Bookmark

Film project details / files

Here's a little bit of an update on my ongoing film work. Some of you expressed some interest in this project when I last posted, so I have gotten permission from the director and producer to share clips on this forum. If there is enough interest, I may post more as things progress.

Movie
    Running Deep - Invision Films
    Release: Late summer, 2004

Scene
    Kevin goes to wake his brother Matt, while his father Mike cleans up after breakfast. Kevin discovers Matt dead from a drug overdose, lying on his bed. Mike frantically tries to revive him, while Kevin phones 911.

Files
    MP4 - Video/audio composite. A large (11.6MB) download, playable with Apple's free Quicktime Player. This is not a polished edit, and the dialogue sound has been compromised.

MP3 - Music only, with the tail end missing. Just over 2MB. This is an updated version, for those of you who heard the earlier one.

Those of you who don't wish to download the huge MP4 file can enjoy these mini-screen captures:

Images copyright 2004 Invision Films / Music copyright 2004 All Hands Music

Comments and questions welcomed.

- Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Film project details / files

Hey Jamie,

I have to say that in my opinion the music is the best part of this scene. You really captured the mood.

Best of luck with this venture,

Karl

Thumbs up Re: Film project details / files

Hi Jamie,

First off, I think the music is very good. On itself and within the storyline (of the particular scene) I think it works very well, it captures the right mood.

However, I personally felt that the score didn't fit the way the scene was shot... In the music you reflected the moment at which Mike realises Kevin is dead and all is lost very well (probably not unintentionally ). But the camera didn't reflect this - the filming technique remains very active and energetic. That's where I felt the music and the images didn't correspond.

As you may notice from the way I write this, you may guess that I think the 'fault' here is with the filming department, and not in the score. The shock that Mike experiences is shown more in the music than in the filming, so if I were to make suggestions, it was to the editors, to try to make the images reflect the emotions of the characters in a similar way as the music does. In this situation that would probably mean slow motion, or maybe the snap-shot kind of slow motion you often see in war action sequences.

Or you could just adapt the music so it works better with the sort of 'hectic' camera work, which would be a shame because I think the music now reflects what it is supposed to reflect.

Or you could leave it the way it is, because I'm of course merely giving my personal point of view. And the music IS good afterall

Edit: On second view: I noticed the camera work seems to focus at Matt the moment Matt comes back from the phone, and Matt isn't past the point of realising it's too late. Although my previously suggested slow motion might still work, maybe it wouldn't be so bad afterall to add a bit of volume and/or rhythm to the soundtrack at this point... Oh well, just suggesting

I'm definitely curious to see more!

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kejero
    In the music you reflected the moment at which Mike realises Kevin is dead and all is lost very well (probably not unintentionally ). But the camera didn't reflect this - the filming technique remains very active and energetic. That's where I felt the music and the images didn't correspond.
    On second view: I noticed the camera work seems to focus at Matt the moment Matt comes back from the phone, and Matt isn't past the point of realising it's too late. Although my previously suggested slow motion might still work, maybe it wouldn't be so bad afterall to add a bit of volume and/or rhythm to the soundtrack at this point...
    From my discussions with the director, the camera work is intentional. The focus remains on Mike (the father), but the action is all Kevin (son). It's an unusual juxtaposition, in that you have one character completely frantic, and the other calm. This is a mirror of the relationship between Mike and Kevin, which at this point, is being driven ever further apart. There were always misunderstandings, but the death of Matt is like a spike that completely divides them. Matt was the "favorite" son.

Part of what may seem out of place is probably a lack of context in seeing this scene by itself. At the very beginning of the movie, we learn that Mike has just lost his wife. He begins to lose control of his life, and even halucinates that she is still around. Matt's death pushes him completely over the edge, and his life starts to completely disintegrate.

There were a number of musical solutions to this scene, but what I chose to do was to have the score follow Mike, and completely ignore Kevin. Mike is the central character in the story, and this scene is much more about what Matt's death does to him than it is about Matt's death itself. He is in such a fog, that Kevin's flailing about barely registers.

I'm curious to hear other opinions on whether or not they find this effective in communicating these ideas.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    There were a number of musical solutions to this scene, but what I chose to do was to have the score follow Mike, and completely ignore Kevin. Mike is the central character in the story, and this scene is much more about what Matt's death does to him than it is about Matt's death itself. He is in such a fog, that Kevin's flailing about barely registers.
    Good choice I'm not sure I understand why the camera doesn't take the same route though... But you're right, a scene on itself can't work in the same way as it would when seen as part of a whole

Sounds like an interesting project
    -- Mr. Kej

Quote Originally Posted by kejero
    Good choice I'm not sure I understand why the camera doesn't take the same route though...
    I don't know the answer to that question as I hadn't really thought about it until this discussion. I'm going to try not to think about that one too hard.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I'm curious to hear other opinions on whether or not they find this effective in communicating these ideas.
    Wow. Very effective. I listened to the cue a few times when you first posted it, and it's great to see it with the film. I can definitely see there would be multiple solutions for the scene, and I really like the way you played it. Anyone who's been in a situation like that can recognize that moment of dreamlike haziness where it can't be real, where you retreat into your head trying to escape the reality that is right in front of you.

The other thing I like so much is how everything is in these sustained tones, rather than doing some frantic rhythmic noodling. While the music is one of the best aspects of this scene, the acting is still good enough to let you play against it somewhat, and get to the heart of the overall story. You made some very good decisions here. I look forward to seeing the completed project.

I thought that was extremely effective Jamie....I only downloaded the MP3 and looked at the photo sequence but, nevertheless, got the drift.

Frank

Looks like a great project! Good luck!
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Nice work. I'm new to all of this....may I ask what programs (and equipment?) you used to make this? Thank you and good luck!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast