• Register
  • Help

Topic: controlling vibrato on sustained notes

Question controlling vibrato on sustained notes

Hello everyone,
    I've been using GPO for 6 weeks and am thoroughly blown away! So far I've become quite comfortable with using GPO as a VST plug-in for Sonar 3.1.1 on my string pieces, but I'd like to lessen the amount of vibrato on some of the longer sustained notes. Do I need to upgrade the Kontakt player, and if so how much is it in US $$?

Re: controlling vibrato on sustained notes

The vibrato is natural and recorded, it can not be adjusted, no matter which version of Kontakt you have. It is not an LFO effect like some libs' vibrato (the adjustable kind).

I've found that the more strings you layer, the smaller the vibrato effect, if its not a solo line, you may want to try that...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

'Vibratoless' woodwind and solo string samples are pretty dead sounding when you go to use them, but I understand where you are coming from. I don't know if this is possible with GPO's samples, but if one owns Kontakt 1.5.3 then it should be possible to re-edit the loop points of the samples to find a section with no vibrato (near the begining of the sample). This might be a workaround until Gary can offer more varied samples in GPO.

If you can't edit the actual samples you could re-sample the output of GPO to 'capture' a multisample of the instrument you are wanting to have no vibrato and edit in something like SoundForge to get a nice static loop. The sound will not be as 'lifelike' as the original but it should work. I have some sucess like this in another library. I used Antares Autotune 1.31 (which doesn't work all the time like this!) to remove the excessive vibrato then was able to loop the sample well enough.

If you decide to try this, remember that just programming a little pitch wobble is not the same as true vibrato! you must also apply a little amplitude mod and/or filter mod. This will give a much more natural effect.

The result will be vibrato you can control yourself, at the expense of realism.

Then vibrato it is! Thanks for the quick responses

Go Back to forum