• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Crazy Polyphony"

Share/Bookmark

"Crazy Polyphony"

Hello, I'll keep my very first post short and to -> point.

I want to use GS3 for orchestral composition and so I'm seeking advice on how best to "get crazy polyphony."
    Reading the GS3 FAQ I'm aware of the preferred specs for the new system, however since I have no experience with building my own PCs I'd much rather pay someone else for a stable system.
    I've already began to get prices from the big makers like Dell, Gateway, etc... and have looked at many online and physical stores.
    I hope some of you experts will be willing to point me in some good directions to find a machine and/or maker that would be great with the new version.
    THANKS very much in advance!

Guessing the following specs are in order:
    WinXP
    P4 3GHz+
    2GB RAM
    DVD-Rom
    2-drive RAID, 10000 SATA
    GSIF 2

Re: "Crazy Polyphony"

I just put together the following system to be ready for GS3

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/mirror)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    Sonar v3 PE
    Adobe Audition 1.5
    GS3 (soon!)

PS I'm mainly interested in piano libraries with no clicks/pops and the lowest possible latency....(apart from 160+ polyphony)

Quote Originally Posted by mal7
    I just put together the following system to be ready for GS3

P4 3.2 Northwood
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe (V1016)
    RME HDSP 9632 (2.81)
    RME AO4S-192
    Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8
    Asus V9520 FX 5200
    2x Raptor 74GB 10k in Raid 0 (piano samples)
    2x WD 80 GB 7200 (Sata) in Raid 1 (system/mirror)
    Pioneer 107D DVD-RW
    Antec Sonata with extra 120mm fan
    Sonar v3 PE
    Adobe Audition 1.5
    GS3 (soon!)

Hey, KicketySplit,

The specs on the system look impressive!
    I imagine the "Corsair TwinX2048-3200 (2gig) @2.5-3-3-8" refers to the RAM, however I don't understand the "@2.5-3-3-8".

Could you explain, please?

I just put a pc together and used P4 3.0 prescott. Being a Mac guy I wasn't
    sure about the difference between prescott and northwood. Did I make a mistake using the prescott?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    Hello, I'll keep my very first post short and to -> point.
    I've already began to get prices from the big makers like Dell, Gateway, etc... and have looked at many online and physical stores.
    If you are not willing to make your own, I suggest going with reputable DAW builders. I caution people going with Dells, Gateway, ect. There is nothing wrong with those computers but their market is not pro audio. You would probably spend a great deal of time tweaking it, removing the 1000 entries at startup.

Quote Originally Posted by scf3
    sure about the difference between prescott and northwood. Did I make a mistake using the prescott?

Thanks
    Here's the information I've come across online and in magazine. The difference is pretty much one of manufacturing process. The Prescott runs at a much higher temperature but with effective cooling this doesn't seem to be a problem. The Prescott seems to be where Intel is headed so soon all new Intel chips might be Prescott instead of Northwood. From what I've seen, Prescott systems seem to handling the benchmarks, etc. fine so I don't you made a mistake at all.

To answer the original question however, I've found that the parts vendor with lowest prices and best selection is www.newegg.com. It would not be an exaggeration to say that I considered over 30 other possibilities for my last compuer and finally decided to get every single component from www.newegg.com. Your suggested setup seems appropriate for what you're talking about. Personally I run 4GB of RAM but that's so that I can run Kompakt instruments and GigaStudio on the same machine along with my sequencer and wave editor.

Quote Originally Posted by scf3

Thanks
    I had the Prescott on order, but changed it when someone on here suggested it may overheat. I decided to be safe than sorry, so went with Northwood. I'd say just make sure your case is well cooled/ventilated

I have a P4 2.8 Prescott in my DAW. As far as I can tell from some of my temperature monitors, it doesn't really run any hotter than the 2.4 Northwood I had.
    Tim

Go Back to forum