• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hello all

Hello all

Hi all,

I'm kind of jumping the gun here - I'm at work and the wife just called to say that my copy of GPO just arrived in the post so it's going to be a long time till hometime.

I'm in Scotland and I was wondering if any other members live here too?

I'm really looking forward to using GPO and of course entering the competition.

Re: Hello all

Welcome to GPO. It's nice to see someone else from the UK. I'm afraid I'm not exactly near Scotland, although I'm nearer than many on this forum .

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy discovering all that GPO has to offer. If you need any help, then there are loads of talented people round here.

Good luck

Hi, I'm new too!!

I've had GPO for about 1 month now and after my midi routing nightmares. (due to a complete lack of midi knowledge.) I'm really starting to get the hang of it.

I'll post a composition up here as soon as I can get one that I'm happy with.

Check out the piano concerto in the demo section by 'Christopher Reeves' It's brilliant and will inspire you to get through the learning stage.

Welcome to you and me.

Would you be kind enough to post any documents that aided you in getting a better understanding of MIDI?

Welcome to you both.

Wow! Scotland and Hong Kong. How cool is that?

IÕve been using midi for so long that I donÕt own anything that is not so old that it would be horribly out of date for someone new. However I do know that there are several low-cost books that do a pretty good job of explaining the concepts. Perhaps if you do a search on Amazon you might come up with something. You will find this midi thing and GPO it an exciting adventure, and if you have any specific questions there are a number of people here who can help you.

Good luck

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Got it all set up last night - awsome as expected! It works very well with Sonar and I quickly converted one of my older compositions. Still lots to learn though and I guess it's time to RTFM's. Going to need a memory upgrade too...

Just a general sort of question - I wonder how many users of GPO are musically trained? I started my musical career as a busker playing tenor banjo on the streets of Glasgow and for years I played by ear. I still don't read very well but I'm using Finale to compose tunes and despite the lack of training I like what I'm hearing and others seem to like it too.

Oh yeah, why is it that the inspiration and flow always seems to happen in the wee small hours just before the alarm clock rings?

Is the internet not a wondefull thing? Here we are from Scotland, Hong Kong, USA, South Africa, etc. and being able to exchange ideas. I am also new at GPO and find this forum and Garritan's homepage the best place to leard about GPO.

A good resource for learning about MIDI used to be available at http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

For some reason it gives me a dead link now. I hope they did not take it off.

Thank you for sharing. I got a dead link as well. However, your kindness is duly noted.

I'm here thumbing through threads getting ideas for purchases I should make. I have virtually nothing at the moment and as a young man would like to spend my money wisely (since there isn't much to begin with).

Again, thank you for your response. If you come across other information that has an active link, please let me know.

Does it count if we have relatives in the UK? ha ha

Seriously, welcome to the forum. Nowhere else will you feel as welcome as you do right here!!

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

tmonaghan, welcome to the forum! Gary

Go Back to forum