• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: DKFH Superior or Artist drums?

Share/Bookmark

Question DKFH Superior or Artist drums?

hey there,

Anybody out there have both the DKFH Superior and the Artist drums collections? I realize that the DKFH is a much bigger library and only $100 more, but the demos for the Artist drums are killer and buying the DKFH means buying a new hard drive or cleaning out my present one..........any thoughts?

Re: DKFH Superior or Artist drums?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeymike
    hey there,

Anybody out there have both the DKFH Superior and the Artist drums collections? I realize that the DKFH is a much bigger library and only $100 more, but the demos for the Artist drums are killer and buying the DKFH means buying a new hard drive or cleaning out my present one..........any thoughts?
    OOO I was hoping no one would ask that!..LOL

I have both. Love both!

If you want just good sounds out of the box, grab Artist Drums…Great for fusion and most rock stuff.

If you want to do a lot of work, but have the ultimate control over your drum sounds, get DFHS.( I’m a drummer and very picky). So in most cases, I’ll use DFHS (great for jazz because of brushes and of course fusion, metal…whatever.)

Keep in mind that you need a lot of hard drive and serious memory to use DFHS. On top of that, you’re gunna have to work to get the sound you want. But it’s worth it if you are really serious about your drum parts.

For composing, I usually fire up Artist Drums – great sounds, less performance hit. Sometimes I then render with DFHS when I finish the piece, sometimes I think “what the heck? Artist Drums is perfect as is”
    Good Luck Mike!

Brian
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Hi monkeymike,

I own DFH Superior and a friend I know has Artist Drums (AD). I have compared both. I whole-heartedly agree with Brian. DFHS is great if you really want to tweak your sound and want to have ultimate control. Artist Drums sounds great right out of the box. DFHS has more sounds and you have the choice of brushes as well (which AD does not have), plus DFHS gives you some percussion as well.

If you don't have that much computer power (and lots of RAM) and aren't inclined to fine-tuning your drum processing, AD might be more suited to you. Both are excellent sets IMHO and at some point I may pick up AD for times when I need something quick.

HTH,
    FV

Talking Re: DKFH Superior or Artist drums?

hmmmmmmmmmm

okay- .............I'll get both!!!! (maybe artist drums for starters- I don't feel like buying another hard drive!!!)

thanx guys

Hi,

I've got DFHS and a friend of mine has Artist Drums. I decided to go with DFHS because it has so much different drums and cymbals and it has lots of mixing options. But I think Artist Drums are great as well. Especially the Simon Philips kit. Very articulate toms and nice hihat too. All the sounds have the reverb built in, so you can't get it out. But it is so much fun to play around with. Here's a piece I made at my friend's place:

Demo of Simon Philips kit

Bye,
    Tom

Hey,

I'm also looking into buying een good acoustic drums-plugin, mainly for working on mainstream pop/rock songs and ballads as well. How about BFD from Fxpansion, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Atombo
    All the sounds have the reverb built in, so you can't get it out.
    It's not a "built-in reverb". They simply recorded the ambience of the studio (which is a good one) with the dry sounds.

You can modify the effect of the ambience by enabling the velocity envolop (which is disabled by default) and then adjust the release time to get the sound you want it to be. If you get this part right, you don't really need to much extra tunnings.

I got both too, and I too suggest that you got both. They are great in different ways.

DFH Superior aside, I would pick StormDrum over Artist drums for rock. Artist drums for fusion maybe, but I prefer the samples in StormDrum.

Quote Originally Posted by fizbin
    DFH Superior aside, I would pick StormDrum over Artist drums for rock. Artist drums for fusion maybe, but I prefer the samples in StormDrum.
    LOL!! Got that too! Awesome library! It sure does cover all the bases quite well.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Have you considered Drumkit from Hell 2? It's essentially DFH Superior LITE, it has about 2.5 gigs of samples, comes in a Kompakt plug-in, and it's $100 cheaper.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum