• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jerry Takes the Plunge

Share/Bookmark

Jerry Takes the Plunge

Hi all,

OK, I think I finally got my webspace taken care of so I can post some music here!

Sean Hannifin asked the question in the thread, "How do you begin a new piece?" Well, inspiration comes from some strange places, let me tell you!

Here is a piece called "Chronomentrophobia"

"Chronom....huh?" You ask?

This piece and its title require a little explanation. This past Saturday i was doing some web surfing and I came across a site that boasted a large list of various phobias. I was intrigued (yeah, well...it doesn't take much to entertain me!) As I looked on the list, one of them just jumped out at me.
    "Chronomentrophobia: Fear of clocks"
    I thought to myself, "How can anyone be afraid of a clock?" I tried to imagine what that must feel like. As soon as I did, I began to imagine what it might SOUND like musically. So here it is! My interpretation of what a fear of clocks might sound like. Please listen to the whole thing (it is short) before you decide whether or not you hate it or like it.

I apologize to any listener out there who might actually have this phobia. No offense is intended!

http://home.comcast.net/~jerrysmusic...ntrophobia.mp3

Thanks everyone!

Re: Jerry Takes the Plunge

Well you didn't mention the clock was evil. Heck, I'd be scared of an evil clock. Or maybe a clock with severe halitosis. I like how no matter what happens, the clock just keeps ticking...and ticking...and ticking.... Very cool.

Good in the genre Jerry....I won't be able to sleep tonight....it's that damn clock.....you can't scare me..!

This piece really 'wound' me up.....

Frank

Jerry W.

I was afraid to post this. But is this the list of phobiasyou referred to? http://phobialist.com "Chronomentrophobia" is certainly on that list

We did an interview on this forum with Jeff Beal who does the music for Monk, the phobia stricken detective, which airs on USA network. At the time there were ongoing mentions of phobias in the posts and the phobia list was referred to. Your music reminds me a little of the phobia music on Monk.

I really enjoyed your composition and listened to it many times. You certainly did capture what it would feel like to be afraid of a clock. Very imaginitive arranging and orchestration. I wanted to throw my clock out the window.

Thanks for posting this. You did this just in time to be posted on the GPO demo page.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Jerry W.

I was afraid to post this. But is this the list of phobiasyou referred to? http://phobialist.com "Chronomentrophobia" is certainly on that list

Gary Garritan
    Thank you Gary,
    Yes this was the exact website. I have watched "Monk" and it is great. Jeff Beal's music is very well done for that series. (Obviously - otherwise he wouldn't be doing it. )

I don't know why that particular phobia stood out for me, after all, there are so many. But I am glad to see my attempt at portraying the imagery in music worked.

BTW - This is basically the Finale 2004 playback through the GPO studio. I used a freeware app called "WireTap" from Ambrosia Software to capture it. (basically captures anything going through your sound card). I am happy to hear the next GPO studio will have this feature built in.

Man, I forgot to post on this piece. I listened to it the other day and I must say that I fell in love with it. Very creative. It stands apart from the rest. I can really get into what you were trying to do with this. Its very easy to visualize with this song. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Man, I forgot to post on this piece. I listened to it the other day and I must say that I fell in love with it. Very creative. It stands apart from the rest. I can really get into what you were trying to do with this. Its very easy to visualize with this song. Great job.
    Thank you (all) for your comments. I am glad that I was able to capture the right mood, I just wonder if anyone would have picked up on the basic clock idea without me explaining what it was about. I hope so, but even listening to it for the umpteenth time, I myself am not sure it is very obvious.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Jerry, the start of the piece was very good - I good excited of what would happen next, but then after the brass cresc. about the middle of piece you lost me. I got disappointed, because you could have build a stronger climax from the brass passage (by expanding it etc.) and let us to be really afraid.

But the suspension in the beginning was great! And the orchestration of the "clockwork" was great too!

Btw. Listened to this now the 3rd time and got this idea, I got the exited feeling once again after the horn melody and when the pizz. strings started a motive - You could build your climax from that.

Damn, now I'm starting to ramble again. Sorry, Jerry.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Jerry, the start of the piece was very good - I good excited of what would happen next, but then after the brass cresc. about the middle of piece you lost me. I got disappointed, because you could have build a stronger climax from the brass passage (by expanding it etc.) and let us to be really afraid.

But the suspension in the beginning was great! And the orchestration of the "clockwork" was great too!

Btw. Listened to this now the 3rd time and got this idea, I got the exited feeling once again after the horn melody and when the pizz. strings started a motive - You could build your climax from that.

Damn, now I'm starting to ramble again. Sorry, Jerry.
    That's Ok Falcon, ramble all you want!
    Actually, and I know this might be stylistically opposed to your taste, I wanted the "climax" to be in the middle - and not too much so. I didnt want the person who has this phobia scared to DEATH, just persistently paranoid - with a few panic attacks. Kind of hinting at a newer climax, but not quite getting there. When you have phobias, "terror" can come from any place and at anytime. I wanted those moments to be spontaneous. I understand your reasoning behind your comments, and perhaps I could have made the climax a bit more elongated, but I didn't want to be overbearing on that, for reasons stated above. This was mostly an attempt to exercise my orchestration muscles.
    In any case, thanks for listening and leaving feedback. Isn't it wonderful to have a place where you can get helpful tips and feedback when working on a piece?

Many thanks,

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Smile Re: Jerry Takes the Plunge

Hi Jerry, thanks.

Ok, I see your point - and it makes sense. Anyway, your orchestration muscle is growing bigger.

Yes, this is a wonderful place to get feedback and tips.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Go Back to forum