• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: holy grail of KVM's?

Share/Bookmark

holy grail of KVM's?

I've been doing as much research on 4-port KVM switches as I can, but there's just too many models out there and too few good reviews to really make an informed purchase. I'm looking for one with 4-ports. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: holy grail of KVM's?

I'm very happy with the Cybex Switchview 8 port that we have here at work. I have 3 servers, a giga machine, 2 workstations and a Mackie d8b console all connected to it and it works great.

They probably have a 4 port version as well.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Smile Re: holy grail of KVM's?

Quote Originally Posted by Musica142
    I've been doing as much research on 4-port KVM switches as I can, but there's just too many models out there and too few good reviews to really make an informed purchase. I'm looking for one with 4-ports. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Hi Musica142

I highly recommend the Miniview SE from IOGEAR. I have had it for a long time and it works fantastic! Very reliable and very happy with it.

Take Care

Dave

The IOGear unit has worked well for me too. You might look at www.kvmswitchesonline.com, which is where I bought it last year.

I have a different model, though:

http://www.kvmswitchesonline.com/gcs1714.html

If I remember right, it was about $90 rather than $140, so you might want to do some research if that's the one you decide on.

Thumbs up Re: holy grail of KVM's?

I just switched to the USB version of the IOGear two-port KVM. It allows me to hook up a USB mouse and keyboard, and it takes only one USB port going into each machine. Even though there's an IRQ taken for the keyboard, it at the very least releases one IRQ that the mouse used to take. That way I can add a SCSI, 1394 or other controller to each machine and be sure that it gets its own IRQ - which would not have been possible without the changeover to USB keys and mouse. Those of you that want to squeeze another IRQ out of your system can get one that way with no impact on the system.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I'm using a 4-port Belking one...works perfectly for me...
    Jan Nemecek
    www.jannemecek.net

I have an iogear MiniViewª II USB KVM GCS124U that i highly recommend. it has "usb sniffing" technology, which makes each computer think the usb devices are always attached. i tried one that didn't have this, but everytime i switched, i had to wait 5-10 seconds for the driver to load on that machine. NO GOOD!

Moe: "It can flash fry a buffalo in 45 seconds."
    Homer: "Oh, but I want it now!"

peace-out
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

I think that's the one I have too. The only thing is that sometimes you still have to power cycle the switch after restarting Windows computers (but not Mac, interestingly) to get it to see the K and M.

I used a Belkin switch for a while, but I'd recommend the IOGEAR Miniview Extreme 4-port switch. I use it for both PCs and Macs and get instant access and no trouble at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I just switched to the USB version of the IOGear two-port KVM. It allows me to hook up a USB mouse and keyboard, and it takes only one USB port going into each machine. Even though there's an IRQ taken for the keyboard, it at the very least releases one IRQ that the mouse used to take. That way I can add a SCSI, 1394 or other controller to each machine and be sure that it gets its own IRQ - which would not have been possible without the changeover to USB keys and mouse. Those of you that want to squeeze another IRQ out of your system can get one that way with no impact on the system.
    Houston, if your motherboards are recent at all they will support APIC and your O.S (from Win98 on) supports ACPI. In other words, freeing up one IRQ really shouldn't matter anymore, all devices get assigned "virtual IRQs" and there should be more than enough of them to go around.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum