• Register
  • Help

Topic: expressions seem to do nothing

Share/Bookmark

expressions seem to do nothing

So i've loaded the string quartet template into GPO, and loaded it into Overture SE as well. However, when I set the pizzicato expression, it does not play pizzicato?
    GPO>edit sound set in overture SE lists pizzicato instruments as being on 2, 4, 6, and 8 as is the same setup in the loaded template for GPO, but nothing seems to get it to play my notes pizzicato.... ?

thanks,
    Zoé B

Re: expressions seem to do nothing

There is a way to do this in Overture SE. I wish I was at home to tell you how its done precisely, but unfortunately I'm not. If no one else answers this, I'll get back on tonight and give a step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    There is a way to do this in Overture SE. I wish I was at home to tell you how its done precisely, but unfortunately I'm not. If no one else answers this, I'll get back on tonight and give a step by step.
    Cool Joe! This should be very useful seeing that I am still learning Overtures many steps.

It has to do with 'voices.' I'll try to explain it, but they have a great manual on their web site. What you do is set up a track for violins. In Studio set up your solo violin on channel one, and the violin pizz in channel 2. In Overture put in a violin stave. Then go to tracks window and set up your outputs for the stave. In the tracks window you can also assign which voices go to which patch in Studio. You can have up to 8 voices per stave in Overture. Each voice can have a different stem so that you can tell between them. In the tracks window over on the far left hand side you should see the name of the track, Violin, and a little down arrow click on this arrow and it should expand the track showing it broken out by voice. Each voice can be assigned a seperate output. So lets put voice one outputting to Studio instance one and channel one so that it will play the regular Violin patch and you would then set up voice two to output to Studio instance one channel two. So in the score, you want to start writing for just the regular sustain Violin patch. You'll need to open the voice dropdown and select voice one. Put down your notes as usual. On playback these notes will be sent to your violin solo patch in Studio. When you get to the part of the score where pizz comes in you'll need to go back to the voice dropdown and select voice two (this will tell Overture to send all notes after this to send to voice 2). Then you put down your pizz notes, put in your expression wording denoting a change of playing style. Man I hope this isn't confusing everyone. I strongly recommend you check out the guide at Overture's site for clarification as this is just the meat and potatoes version.

Geniesoft

Go Back to forum