• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Lullaby

Share/Bookmark

A Lullaby

Hi all!

I sent this to Gary and he suggested I should post it here as well.

Two weeks ago I wrote this short little lullaby for my Nephew's new baby, Kylee.

It worked! She fell right to sleep when they played it for her.

http://home.comcast.net/~jerrysmusic...for_kyllee.mp3

I also have the pdf. It may work better if you right-click and save as vs. just clicking on the link. (Mac users: Option-click)

http://home.comcast.net/~jerrysmusic...byforKylee.pdf

Playback was through Finale 2004.

Re: A Lullaby

A real sweet little piece. I'll take it when I visit my nephew soon. That will be the real test of its soothing powers. It would also make a nice little guitar piece. I'll download the PDF and give it a play. Thanks for posting.

Karl

Thumbs up Re: A Lullaby

I've tears in my eyes! This melody is so beautiful!

Only downside is that the piece is too short, I want more please!

Bravo!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    I've tears in my eyes! This melody is so beautiful!

Only downside is that the piece is too short, I want more please!

Bravo!
    You know, My nephew thought the same thing. As did I. I really need to develop it more. It really is too short. I'll get cracking!

There will be a longer version, but in the mean time, comments are still welcomed about this version!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    You know, My nephew thought the same thing. As did I. I really need to develop it more. It really is too short. I'll get cracking!

There will be a longer version, but in the mean time, comments are still welcomed about this version!

Jerry
    Just try not to make it too interesting, or we might stay awake
    Nice work
    -- Mr. Kej

This really is a sweet, and very beautiful little lullaby Jerry.....children (and big children like me) would love this . I enjoyed its relaxing simplicity. It doesn't always pay to show how clever and avante garde you are. There is room for just plain, nice music IMHO. There's enough crap and angst in the world without listening to it.....give me a bit of escapism any day. (it's only my prozac talking...forgive me!) There's a tiny bit of edelweiss in it but it's none the worse for that IMEHO.

I wonder if someone could put words to it....I might even try myself. I think it was well written, very finely judged, arranged and MIDIed. I thought the initial simple orchestration was going to be carried right through so it was lovely when the full orchestra came in at 57s. I think the strings could have been tapered in with controllers at this point but otherwise superb.

I would also appreciate hearing Karl's version with a real guitar..if you permit him......he's a master with it!

Frank

Jerry,

This song is beautiful and tender and tugs at the heart strings.
    Being a harpist, it is just the way I would have played the intro.

I agree with Hardy that this piece calls for lyrics. It would also be great if Karl can add his guitar to the piece.

I'm glad you posted this for all of us to enjoy.

Gary Garritan

Hi Jerry,

I was so taken with this that I thought I'd try my hand with some words. I realised that it is actually very clever to write such a thing as a lullbay without having some words in mind. Thanks for the opportunity. The words are very simple as, of course, it's only for tiny tots. The words are meant to be reassuring and comforting with a little added wonder.

Now I know how you guys feel posting something!!! Scary isn't it!

Feel free to improve/ change the words......As with music there are so many possible variations but you have to choose.....I'm not even sure I've got the verses the right way around!

Lullaby for Kyllee- Jerry W

Look and see my busy bee
    You're so tired and (so) sleepy ........(Jerry's improvement is to drop this 'so') You could also drop the 'and' and leave the 'so'
    All around the stars do shine
    I’m so glad you’re mine.

All around the children sleep
    All tucked in, so warm to keep
    Happy thoughts for dreams tonight
    What a lovely sight!

Don't worry, I won't give up my day job!

Singing through this gave me a certain pleasure and I think that words (not just mine) enhance the whole piece and give it meaning.....I just wish I had some tots to sing it to (no sign of grand children yet!). A distant pleasure for me.....I do hope that parents do sing little songs to the children at bedtime still. I fear that modern pressures tend to threaten life's simple and valuable pleasures and treasures.

Putting some words to this made me realise, even more, what a fine little lullaby this is. The ending is also traditional and beautiful too..... even to the violin coming in right at the end.

If you can't sing this lends itself to soft talking it in Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady) style. I found myself coming up with some lovely harmonies whilst singing this....again it lends itself to it.

Frank

Gary, how about doing a real harp part for comparison....that would be interesting too.

Talking Re: A Lullaby

Frank!!!!

Those words are GREAT. Wow, adding lyrics really adds a whole new dynamic to this piece.

As I was listening to the lullaby and singing your words, I started thinking of how a nice choral arrangement this would make. (How soon was the GPO Choral library going to be ready, Gary??? ha ha.)

I only changed ONE word - and that was removing the "and" in the second line. Now reads, "You're so tired, so sleepy" That fits the rhythm of the melody a bit better.

As far as you're comments earlier about not always having to be avante gard and stuff: I think that in SOME cases, style is dictated by the purpose of the composition - a Lullaby, written for a baby to sleep to, obviously is not going to be created using 12-tone technique. (Well, I am sure you COULD, but I don't know how that would work). And conversely, I am sure that I would not submit this lullaby to a college professor for analysis.

I like to be diverse in my approach to composition. I would say I tend to be more traditional, but that depends upon the situation. (Look at my other piece I posted,"Chronomentrophobia" - that is at the opposite spectrum of this lullaby.)
    I love variety in music!

Anyway, Thanks so much for the lyrics and the encouraging posts. It really is wonderful to be able to share my music (albeit something that makes me feel very vulnerable), with other musicians and composers. I doubt that I would have ever really thought to put lyrics to this piece, but now, i can't imagine it without.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Frank!!!!

Those words are GREAT. Wow, adding lyrics really adds a whole new dynamic to this piece.

Jerry
    That's very kind of you to say....thanks. Yes it was quite amazing how different the lullaby sounds if you sing the words. Yes, I wasn't sure about the 'sleepy' It did sound ok when spoken in a certain 'avante garde' way!

Thus armed, I'm going to put some words to Nicole's latest piano piece....at least I won't have to worry about it rhyming!

You make an interesting point that you wouldn't write atonal avante garde stuff for tots. This then begs the question at what age, if any, should we begin to like this?

You have a least proved yourself by doing some of the sweet stuff...I can forgive versatile types like you and Nicole.

I look forward to hearing more from you....I can tell they're not all going to be lullabies!

Frank

Go Back to forum