• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timpani Ranges and Tunings (not tuneafish)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Timpani Ranges and Tunings (not tuneafish)

Without going into to much depth -
    Standard Timpani configuration for orchestra is as follows:
    Tuning Bass Cleff Starting below the bass staff and ascending.
    32" - Tuning range = C to G
    29" - Tuning range = E to B
    26" - Tuning range = A to E
    23" - Tuning range = D to A
    It has been my experience that most midi music programmers make a common mistake by programming notes for timpani below the lowest range of the 32" timp. This results in a muddy unnatural sound and should be avoided at all times. And in mirror, by programming notes for the 23" timp higher than its range results in a sort of Timbale sound and is unnatural as well. The most common timp used is the pedal type which gives the percussionist freedom while playing to change tuning "on the fly".
    The tunings are standard. There are however "effects" that we percussionist derive from using different mallets, sticks, brushes, and playing in different areas of the head i.e. striking the head dead center gives and earth shattering thunderous sound!
    As I endulge into the world of sampling percussive sounds, I will be encluding these different "effects" as well. There is so much this is going to take some time.
    www.brainyencyclopedia.com/ encyclopedia/t/ti/timpani.html< if you like to rad more on Timpani.

Re: Timpani Ranges and Tunings (not tuneafish)

Thanks Styxx,

I appreciate the information. I took an orchestration class and we spent a good deal of time on percussion instruments. It really opened my eyes to what variety of sounds and effects can be produced by the percussion section. Are you sampling these for a specific library? or are you just doing this for your own thing?
    Thanks,
    Jerry Wickham

Nice Styxx!

It's however worth noting that the most typical range is from the low D to high F.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Thanks Styxx,

I appreciate the information. I took an orchestration class and we spent a good deal of time on percussion instruments. It really opened my eyes to what variety of sounds and effects can be produced by the percussion section. Are you sampling these for a specific library? or are you just doing this for your own thing?
    Thanks,
    Jerry Wickham
    I am working on a specific library of percussion sounds both natural and avant-garde. My wish is to make it available to the GPO family ASAP. But, just finding the resources to acquire all the instruments is a huge task in itself.

Hey, Styxx,

How are things going for you?

This is very interesting. Maybe you and Gary can collaborate on the percussion part of the orchestral enhancement package coming to a dealer near you soon.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hey, Styxx,

How are things going for you?

This is very interesting. Maybe you and Gary can collaborate on the percussion part of the orchestral enhancement package coming to a dealer near you soon.

Karl
    Hey Karl.
    I took a bad turn for the worse a couple of weeks ago but now recuperating. The percussion sample venture is quite interesting. I like being in a high tech recording studio with all the latest recording toys. (Gives me ideas for mine).
    I sent you an mp3 did you ever receive it?

Go Back to forum