• Register
  • Help

Topic: Film Music Scores, where to buy?

Share/Bookmark

Film Music Scores, where to buy?

Where is the best place online to purchase complete Film Music Scores? It's always easy to find traditional composers but modern music is harder to come across.

Re: Film Music Scores, where to buy?

Can you foward any webpage links?

Thanks

Thanks, are the JW in Complete Score. Is it good quality publication?

Dover has published some JW scores , completely...but the last time I was looking for Harry Potter score (long time ago) it was 500 bucks!!!
    Leo
    Leandro Gardini - classical/orchestral composer

Pacific Ocean - http://www.pacificocean.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by leogardini
    Dover has published some JW scores , completely...but the last time I was looking for Harry Potter score (long time ago) it was 500 bucks!!!
    I think Dover has always been somewhat expensive. I remember paying close to 200 bucks for the complete score and Piano part of Ravel's Piano Conerto in G - in 1982!

I will say, though, that the paper has held up quite well.

R.
    ==

Hal Leonard publishes the JW scores. Dover usually only publishes scores that are in the public domain for very reasonable prices usually between $10-$20. The Dover scores have never fallen apart on me.

The JW scores come in large format quality editions are are concert versions of the works from his movies. If you see a local symphony play JW, then they are probably using this version. The cost is between $40-$75 depending on the score. TrueSpec sells the whole line of his scores.

Here's another good place............also stocks the JW scores.....

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/

Steve

WTB: Picasso Suite

If anyone ever runs into a source for Michel LeGrande's(sp) Picasso Suite, I'd love to get it!

Been looking for over 15 years, so I'm not overly optimistic, lol.

Rick

What musicians here and elsewhere really want are not "concert versions" or condensed extracts, but full and complete study scores. It continues to amaze me that important scores by modern composer geniuses like Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann etc are not available. They should be right there on the shelf with the Mozart, Beethoven Stravinsky, etc.

This is important music and I can't believe that there isn't a market for it. I would snap them up in two seconds flat and so would most people on this site. Money aside, there's certainly a cultural and educational need for it.

Heath

This is important music and I can't believe that there isn't a market for it. I would snap them up in two seconds flat and so would most people on this site. Money aside, there's certainly a cultural and educational need for it.

Heath[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree. I really think there IS a market for it, but it would have to be worked with the moive studios themselves. In almost every case, they literally own the music with the composer having little or no say over it's use, other than receiving performance royalties. They (the studios) also tend to be fiercely protective of it, ie forcing Gabriel Yared to remove MP3's of his rejected score for Troy, and there are numerous anecdotes of people being forced by heavy legal hand to destroy or return "black market" copies of actual scores.

From another angle, sometimes research can pay off. For example, Brigham Young University owns all of Max Steiner's "memoirs" including scores, sketches, notes etc. It's really a fascinating collection to anyone with a passion for film music, especially it's early roots.

Go Back to forum