• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound Card

Share/Bookmark

Sound Card

Hello everybody, I have been reading through these forums for quite a while and have finally purchased GPO. I work as a sound designer and decided that I should explore my compositional abilities. First off, I would like to thank Gary for such a wonderful tool... GPO is simply amazing. Also many thanks to all of the wonderful GPO composers on this forum.

Currently, the machine I am using at work has an Audigy LS, which is a horrible sound card. Cubasis hardly works with it. I am constantly having dropouts with the audio... unuseable. My boss told me that I could simply take back the card and upgrade it to an Audigy2.

Though important, I rarely see people listing what type of sound cards that they're using. So I was wanting to know what you guys would reccomend a guy like me. RME products are a bit out of the league as far as pricing is concerned, but in my personal searches I have been looking at m-audio and echo. I guess I would like something around $100-200. Would an Audigy2 be acceptable for the time being?? Thanks in advance for your advice.

-Michael Franke

Current Computer Specs: Pentium4 2.4Ghz, 1gig RAM, running XP Pro

Re: Sound Card

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Franke
    Currently, the machine I am using at work has an Audigy LS, which is a horrible sound card. Cubasis hardly works with it. I am constantly having dropouts with the audio... unuseable. My boss told me that I could simply take back the card and upgrade it to an Audigy2.

Like most such questions -- "it depends." Are you using your machine for serious production work? What other software are you using with it? That will dictate your sound card requirements.

Personally, I think that everything with the word "Audigy" on or about it is a waste of time and money. Whenever we've had machines with Audigy cards, they've been a problem. If you must stay on the lower-end, it's hard to beat your basic SB Live card. I'm responsible for a cluster of 10 radio stations and two state networks, and we're using SB Live cards for network recording, news audio machines, and even in our production studios. They are reasonably clean, extremely stable and well-behaved, and a couple of weeks ago I bought a couple at my local Best Buy store -- new in the retail box --for $29.95 each. A couple of days later I bought a lot of 10 "unused pull" (removed from new computers) OEM SBLive cards for $9.95 each.

If, on the other hand, you're doing commercial sound production or mastering, you need something better suited to that need -- in which case your wallet will be a deciding factor.

D.
    "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds"
    --Psalm 147:3

Thanks for the reply, I had not even thought of using a SB live! I used to use those cards all of the time and it was stable as could be. I guess that is why I thought an audigy would work just as well... big mistake there! Right now I am using my "company's wallet", so that would be a great quick fix for the time being.

The work I am doing is going to be commercial, so will have to "ante-up" and get a dependable card. Thanks again!

Creative are bringing out a $100 version of their current series of cards.....It has the same (high) spec and is probably hard to beat. Only downside is that it doesn't do GigaStudio.

Because of that, after much study and comparison, I bought an ESI Waveterminal 192L.....seems good/ great drivers.

Frank

Frank, have you been using your 192L with GPO or any other production software? If so, what do you think of it and do you use the MIDI on the card?? That is definitely peaking my interest... great price point.

I have not had any experience with ESI's products. I am mostly familiar with MOTU and M-Audio products. Thanks for the info.

Go Back to forum