• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a specific Vocal Pad sound...

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a specific Vocal Pad sound...

For many years I've been searching for a specific "vocal pad" sound. One that was heard in many hits from the 70's.

3 songs come to mind that utilized it. 10CC's "I'm Not In Love", Billy Joel's "Just The Way You Are", and James Taylor's "Shower The People".

At least, I'm assuming those all came from the same source, because they sound so much alike.

I've been able to replicate it fairly well using sounds from SOV's "Pop Stacks", but the original had somewhat of that "lo-fi" thing going on, you know?

Does anyone know what the original sound source was? I thought it might be a Mellotron, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Re: Looking for a specific Vocal Pad sound...

Those were all recorded pre-MIDI and pre-sampler, so if it isn't a mellotron it can only be live vocalists with mangled signals. If they share a similar timbre they may have all been processed through the same box, possibly an Eventide or a Roland Dimension D.

I also like the vocal sound from 10cc`s "Im Not In Love". I would love to be able to recreate that sound . It`s not a mellotron. The guys in that group were brilliant producers and I believe the vocals are the guys in the band and not session singers.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by sunra
    I also like the vocal sound from 10cc`s "Im Not In Love". I would love to be able to recreate that sound . It`s not a mellotron. The guys in that group were brilliant producers and I believe the vocals are the guys in the band and not session singers.

Rick
    Yea, I don't doubt that at all.

However, I'd have to listen to it again, but I was always under the impression that there were (in very general terms) "layers" to that sound. The top "layer" being the "ba-da-ba" syllable, single note stuff, and then the "pad" of "Ahh's". That pad sound was prevalent in the other two songs I mentioned, so it had to be something that was available back then, if even only to a handful of artists.

But what?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    Yea, I don't doubt that at all.

However, I'd have to listen to it again, but I was always under the impression that there were (in very general terms) "layers" to that sound. The top "layer" being the "ba-da-ba" syllable, single note stuff, and then the "pad" of "Ahh's". That pad sound was prevalent in the other two songs I mentioned, so it had to be something that was available back then, if even only to a handful of artists.

But what?
    There ARE layers to the sound and I would imagine it was multi-tracked numerous times (more than usual) to get that effect. Something that was done in a real studio with real musicians. The pad of "ahhs" might have been looped.As far as any hardware that may have been used you would have to ask an engineer.

I remember reading an interview with one of the 10cc guys back then, and he did talk about the incredible number of overdubs they did on those "live" vocal tracks.

I remember hearing more or less the same thing, it was obviously pre-sampler days and apparently they recorded and recorded heaps of vocal tracks to tape and spent hours and hours chopping tape, layering the sound etc.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum