• Register
  • Help

Topic: Am I screwed with XP if motherboard goes bad

Share/Bookmark

Am I screwed with XP if motherboard goes bad

I'm really happy with XP and GS now with Matthias' brilliant registry tweaks.... 1.5G and 99%. But what if my motherboard goes bad? I've got my system and sample hard drives backed up with Ghost Images, so there's not a problem in restoring the system if the system drive goes bad. But from what I understand, there is a problem if I try to put the system hard drive into another computer.

So what if I'm on the road and need to do this kind of transplant because I have a motherboard problem? Do I have to contact Microsoft before I can run with a recovered image or a cloned system drive in a new computer?
    Gabriel

Re: Am I screwed with XP if motherboard goes bad

if you repalce it with the exact mobo , same bios you should be ok.
    never tried it with a different mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriels
    So what if I'm on the road and need to do this kind of transplant because I have a motherboard problem? Do I have to contact Microsoft before I can run with a recovered image or a cloned system drive in a new computer?
    Gabriel
    Invest in a backup system. If you are on the road I would think replacing a motherboard and finding one with the time to replace it yourself would be a hassle.

You are going to be screwed when replacing the motherboard. The OS just won't know what to do. I had to replace my motherboard and there was no way I was able to get my system drive to boot and work with it. I had to just do a clean windows XP install and everything now works beautifully.

Due to seperate system and audio drives though...there was not that much data I had to restore on the system drive...so it went pretty quickly. I had backups of my performance files stored on the seperate audio drive as well.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

yikes,
    This almost makes me want to go back to Win2000 and put up with 89% loading. I really don't want to carry an extra computer around, too much stuff already, (I'll probably have 2 giga setups and another which runs my controller). I wonder if GS3 will be more forgiving and load fully with 1.5 or 2 gigs. I haven't been following the news.... does it run on win2k?
    Gabriel

You are not necessarily screwed. The best thing to do is to replace your motherboard with the exact same type of motherboard and plug everything into the exact same slots, etc. This should be almost effortless, aside from tearing apart your computer.

Also, you can attempt to transfer the hard drive to a different motherboard. Sometimes you can just boot up and it will reinstall drivers as necessary and away you go. If you cannot boot you can attempt to do a repair reinstall of Windows XP with the existing OS. I have done both of the above successfully on a few different occasions. I have also experienced the scenario where no amount of jumping through hoops will get that old hard drive and its OS to work with the new motherboard.

There is also a utility called sysprep that I have never used that is supposed to strip out the hardware abstraction layer and facilitate something like this. See - http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6200/rh6207.htm

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Aside from needing an emergency mobo replacement (multiple machines is a great thing, in case something horrible like this happens), I would usually not attempt to load up the existing OS with a new motherboard. Once you've "tweaked" for music production once, it's not a bad deal.

Out of every computer I've owned since the late 80's, I have fried exactly one motherboard, and it was a freak thing. I have easily owned 17 computers I can recall, perhaps even more. Yes, I remember another one. 18. And probably still counting. You're much more likely to fry hard drives. Out of probably 40 hard drives I've had in recent memory, about 6-7 fried.

Microsoft is the least of your worries. They're very quick and efficient at reauthorizing your OS. I've done it several times. The one time I got phone flagged, I told the rep I was replacing my mobo, drives, and memory, and she said, "fine," and generated a number for me.

Where you're going to get boned is all the various CP schemes on your music software, because there are scads of authorizations to get. Because NI or Waves (or even MOTU) aren't exactly Microsofts when it comes to staffing, there's no friendly voice on the phone at all hours of the day and night to insta-fix your problems. And because their level of development is not as highly funded in this department, the protection systems you deal with are not the most stable and robust things in the universe.

All that said, I'd try two things. As recommended, going with the same model, or same brand and similar model of MOBO may well work. It has worked for me before, and then on an exact twin machine I tried it and it didn't. But if it won't work, I'd bail at that point, and reload and retweak the entire thing. It's a couple of days PITA, but it's a good chance to renew your machine, start out fresh, and I've never regretted doing it once it's done.

I did not have to reinstall the OS if it was the same board manufacturer and the same chipset manufacturer.

Thank you all for your helpful remarks and for recounting your experiences. It seems to me that if I expect to be able to get on stage with a working Giga setup on any particular day, there's no real alternative to having a back up system all set up and ready to call into action in case of an emergency.

I suppose the extra operating system is not much of an issue.... not that expensive, and the hardware is an unavoidable expense.

What about Gigastudio itself? Should I expect to have to buy another copy of GS merely in order to back myself up in this way? For that matter, I suppose I should be able to convince Microsoft to allow me to make such a backup. Ha Ha.

One last thing..... is it true that if by some miracle a cloned drive worked if put into a "twin" computer, would I have the 30 days to authorize XP. This would make things kind of acceptable. If the system had to be authorized before beginning to work.... not so hot.
    Gabriel

Go Back to forum